Tornado in our county right now! VIDEO FOOTAGE added..

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We've dodged everything in NE so far, but it looks like the projected radar view shows heavier stuff around midnight.

humid and windy right now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I've wondered about moving to Tennessee, maybe I DON'T want to. Tornadoes are rare around here, and where I live, the soil is pretty sandy. So, even though we're about 1/4 mile from a lake, we've never had any flooding problems, even when we've gotten torrential rainfall from the remnants of a hurricane.
Nashville area(Cumberland plateau) is the safest in the world for most natural disasters actually. I'm in the lower areas :/ I live on an incline downhill from the road and both neighbors yards, so we flood a bit :hu Tennessee isn't so bad, has issues just like everywhere else. We are DEFINATELY building a storm shelter next year though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prayin for ya brother!! Hope you guys don't get it as bad as we have down here. Cooler temps will be to your advantage :thumbsup

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
We got lucky here. Lots of people without power in this town, lots of trees or limbs down, and some flooding in town. But considering how strong a storm that was - I aint complaining.

I got a big dose of perspective. Ran into a guy - that I'm pretty sure is homeless- a few hours before the heavy part of the storm was supposed to arrive. Without TV or internet, he didn't know it was gonna be that rough.

I made sure to tell him about the tornado warnings and what time it was likely to get intense.
Ran into him again today and he said that he got to a storm shelter in time. They could hear one of the the tornadoes but at least they weren't stuck out in it.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Saw the news this morning and my heart is heavy for the states affected. I hope you all are OK today :hugs

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We dodged the bullet last night too. Tornadoes touched down west of us and north of us. Lots of damage all around us, but nothing out of place here thankfully.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, I'm not in tornado country (usually!) but aren't you supposed to get into the cellar or something? I see all these videos taken by people walking around and it freaks me out!!!! :ep

Of course, my friend from Houston called me once all upset at a news item she saw about my area and a blizzard and she wanted to make sure we were safe. (New friend!) I laughed and told her as long as I was not caught on the road by a quicker than anticipated arrival of a storm, I looked forward to them. Snow is very different from hurricanes or tornadoes!

Did I say YIKES????? :th

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
OK, I'm not in tornado country (usually!) but aren't you supposed to get into the cellar or something? I see all these videos taken by people walking around and it freaks me out!!!! :ep

Of course, my friend from Houston called me once all upset at a news item she saw about my area and a blizzard and she wanted to make sure we were safe. (New friend!) I laughed and told her as long as I was not caught on the road by a quicker than anticipated arrival of a storm, I looked forward to them. Snow is very different from hurricanes or tornadoes!

Did I say YIKES????? :th
I'll take the blizzards too. We were out in Ohio a few years ago and had some little teeny microburst winds tear through our campsite when we weren't there. That was enough for me!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You guys have to remember that a tornado is very often no wider than a quarter mile, and cuts a path. It is not area wide. They are very much survivable inside a storm shelter. I hate snow enough I'll stay put. I do wish everyone(including myself) had, or at least had access to, a storm shelter.

Even at that, the ones during the night would still kill, but not near as often or near as high body counts. Certain temperatures have to be reached before a tornado is even strong or very dangerous. When temps are below 60 and we have one of these storms blowing through...I don't worry a bit. There may be wind damage, but the roof will stay on...shingles, maybe not, but roof will.

Understanding the storms and the weather is half the battle. I'd worry more in a blizzard actually. It's not what I am used to facing. :hu

I sat through hurricane Floyd in Savannah Georgia too. I can handle hurricanes and tornadoes over the white junk.

Latest posts