Tornado warnings in So. Cal!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Been on the phone with the insurance company today about yesterday's fence incident, and she told me that Safeco is just swamped with claims today. We have had inense storms again this morning. Our area usually gets a pass on a lot of these things, something to do with the topography, but looks like we will get deluged this week. Hope no more funnel clouds form in my back yard !!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ldy...I must have missed that post. Sorry to hear about your fence. I talked to my sister up in Huntington Beach today. She had a funnel cloud or mini tornado through her yard. Broke tree limbs and sent her 16 foot trampoline through the air. It landed on her shed.

We have clear skies now and the sun is poking through. Most of the heavy stuff is south of us. Thank goodness.

They say more is coming though. Hang in there.

gina

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, you all down south are getting hit hard! But you've had fires, and your average rainfall is less than us up here (motherlode). Please batten down the hatches and if a tornado starts up, head for the bathtub. ( I rode thru a tornado in a bathtub in Amarillo TX years ago.)

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are just fine here, had a lot of rain for a few hours late morning, but nothing like just south of us, and no danger of mudslides like those in the hills. Whew!

I did learn that the rain gutter near the chicken coop will cause the coop to flood and the chicken food to get soaked. That's never happened before.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Were fine now, rain has almost stopped and the hill is draining. The weather man says there is more rain tomorrow and a biggy on Thurs. We should be fine.

I wish I had rain barrels. :he :he

gina

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know, I've thought of rain barrels too. But what would I do with them and how long would they last? Dip a pot in them and then walk all over the place, back and forth, trying to water plants? We live on 7.5 acres, and inhabit maybe 75 yards or so of it. And the garden is probably 100 yds away. I just can't see for me, how a few rain barrels would help. The best part here is we are not on a sewer system. So any water not uptaken by the plants are refilling the underground aquifers. Not running out to the bay, like it did in San Jose.

btw: it was blowing so so hard in the early morning, that I became worried about our trees (native oaks). So far so good. And its been a steady downpour since around 9 a.m. I sure hope that our nearby reservoir is being filled (New Melones). Its so so empty, that they said a few more feet and we would be able to make out the town of Melones that they drowned when they built the reservoir.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We had quite a downpour and some heavy winds here north of San Francisco. They had also mentioned funnel clouds, but as far as I know we didn't get any. The wind knocked things around a bit, but except for having a lot more standing water, than I have seen in a few years, everything is ok.
Hope all of you, who got it worse are ok.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MR glad to hear your trees are holding. We are in a lull down here but they say more rain and wind on the way.

I hear what your saying about the 7 acres and not having to haul the water around. But I think with the drought conditions we normally have in California any water would be better than none. I know of people who have several barrels(10 to 15) kind of daisy chained together. So as the first fills it overflows into the next. Some of my house is actually over my garage. So I am rolling around the idea of putting a tank under my porch. If I ran a garden hose off of the tank pressure and gravity would do the rest.

I think some of the forum, I forget who it was uses a trash bag in a 5 gallon bucket. They tie up the bag to prevent sloshing. I know it would be hard but if the garden needed water it could be done.

After I watched all that water roll off the roof and down the hill I figured I should try to save some.

Wouldn't hurt to try.
gina