Tornado warnings in So. Cal!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wonder if there is a place to get FREE tanks for collecting rain water? I'm worried about the investment, vs the cost of water. But I'd rather have too much water, and lush grounds (for our region) vs bone dry earth and struggling plants.:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My elderly neighbor, when I was growing up, made hers out of those big metal drums with a lid. She simply cut a hole in the top where the down spout would drip into and covered it with some leftover screen held in place with a few bricks.

I got a drum like that used at my feed store. Lid and all for $8. It was used to hold corn syrup or something at a candy factory.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MR I have the same problem. The tanks I want are huge and the cost of water is a whole lot less.

Maybe keep an eye on your local Craig's list. My neighbor the one who has several, he gets them for free from our local dairy. Not sure what they used them for, soap I think.

Every once in a while I find a huge tank on CL but they usually are more than my budget will allow.

:idunno

gina

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My elderly neighbor, when I was growing up, made hers out of those big metal drums with a lid. She simply cut a hole in the top where the down spout would drip into and covered it with some leftover screen held in place with a few bricks.

I got a drum like that used at my feed store. Lid and all for $8. It was used to hold corn syrup or something at a candy factory.

Is yours plastic or metal?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
big brown horse said:

Is yours plastic or metal?
It is metal, I use it to store feed for the horses. My neighbor used metal ones just like it for her rain barrels.

My rain barrles are plastic.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
All I can say is it is WET here.

I just got back from driving everyone to school and saw at least 5 downed trees. Today is supposed to get worse......hold on Gina!

FD, how is it up near you? Has it cleared out?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here in the motherlode, its overcast this morning. There is another storm coming in later this morning. FD usually gets hit before we do, as it sweeps across the state. My 4 dogs are house crazy!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well husband is home with no work because of rain. Ugggg, he's already throwing off the balance. I have sent him to the garage.

We had hard rain in the early am around 4 to 5. It stopped just in time for my kiddos to walk across the street to school.

My friend who just lives up the street last night lost power for a while. She called all stressed in a panic and hungry. Her kids and dh were out somewhere. I explained to her that if it was me I would light the fire, turn on my battery powered radio and light my oil lamps.

she had 4 candles and a bottle of vodka. I told her to take a bath with both. :p

The heavy stuff is supposed to hit North County about 11 am. We will be fine. This is one time I like living on a hill. lol

Take care, gina

Latest posts