Tortoise - meat strecher ideas! Please share more :-)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You mentioned in the thread on making grocery store $ go further, about stretching meat, specifically about rice in sloppy joe meat. But you also said something about your Mom is the master of this, and has lots more ideas. Could you pretty please share these? Thanks!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use veggies to stretch the meat. Cauliflower is a favorite. It is pretty mild on its own so you still have good meaty flavor even with the cauliflower added.

As for replacing meat with starch, it may be good for the wallet, but it isn't good nutritionally.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
In general anything that you cut meat into smaller pieces with stretch it. stir fry, fajitas, soups, etc.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Saute onions and a few mushroom pieces in butter until the onion is caramelized. Then add pieces of beef cut in to small pieces. The flavor of the onions and mushrooms is a great flavor booster. Then make this mix in to a stew. Thicken with pumpkin and spice with salt, pepper, sage, etc...

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Saute onions and a few mushroom pieces in butter until the onion is caramelized. Then add pieces of beef cut in to small pieces. The flavor of the onions and mushrooms is a great flavor booster. Then make this mix in to a stew. Thicken with pumpkin and spice with salt, pepper, sage, etc...
Pumpkin? Like plain canned pumpkin?

I am really liking this idea, I can see it with a little curry powder if you want to tweak the flavor another direction... I could feed that to DH 4 times a week, just change the seasonings around each time.

I like the cauliflower, too.

ETA yep, I could feed it to him 4 times a week- but I'm not going to!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
DW found a cookbook, Cheap. Fast. Good! that has a meatloaf recipe that you get 3 lbs of meatloaf from one pound of ground meat. Lots of veggies shredded and added in - it also gets the kids to eat those veggies without a fight!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Homemade sausage over mashed sweet potatoes seasoned with salt and butter is a favorite here.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And next year, scoop up as many free pumpkins as you can get your hands on, roast 'em, puree them, and freeze the puree in measured portions for your favorite recipes. Pumpkin puree goes in all my soups and stews. It adds a subtle flavor that no one guesses, but it does add a richness, especially if you roast the pumpkin a bit brown.

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great ideas. I didn't score any pumpkins this year, and the crop failure was epic.

What about ground peanuts? I'm thinking specifically of Groundnut African Stew, but I don't eat chicken so was thinking it might work with beef.