Tortoise's 2018 garden(s)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have a light you can put over 'em? I use a regular "shop light" with flourescent bulbs and put it with in a couple inches of the plants and they do great.
I usually plant tomatoes right up to the first set of leaves.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH has been fighting me about grow lights for years. He says it's futile. Because he's all-knowing after working in a greenhouse in college? 19 years ago, just sayin'

I transplanted most of the flat pictured above. They filled 2 flats, one per cell. (72! I only have garden space planned for 108 tomato plants and this is only 2 of 5 varieties!). I have them in a "healing chamber" as one would use for grafting. Haha, I was not joking about entertaining myself by reading stacks of library books about growing! I have learned a lot, and so much I don't know!

The remaining few are in full sun. I'm about out of space, I can only fit 20 flats in front of my patio door/window. I can see I'm going to have to split all the rest of my tomatoes into individual cells soon.

Good thing I am doing drop-in vending at the farmer's market - looks like I will need to sell some tomato plants! :D That would surely get DH's attention! And maybe get him to make my little greenhouse space larger and more functional?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good thing I am doing drop-in vending at the farmer's market - looks like I will need to sell some tomato plants! :D That would surely get DH's attention! And maybe get him to make my little greenhouse space larger and more functional?
Tomato plants are good sellers. Most people eat tomatoes and can't resist having the plant ready for the garden, saving them having to wait for seed to grow, etc.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I separated out the rest of my tomatoes. 360 plants, if they all make it!

I tried working in the garden last night, but it's practically sod from all the weed and grasses. I cried uncle, and DH is going to till the garden for me "one last time" in my words.

I pruned raspberries today. We have two patches of raspberries. One is doing poorly so we are considering tilling it and replacing with ??? Something else.

Cells for planting arrived today, but no trays. I'm not happy with what I have started for the garden. I expect to be purchasing plants too. None of my peppers are up. My cabbage seedlings are leggy and flimsy, another flat of cabbage seeds had 0% germination rate. I have herbs started for selling and dwarf sunflowers to sell for a fundraiser. Once my trays arrive I'm going to start more. Getting close to time to start cucumbers, etc.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
And I officially hate Jiffy pellets. And the other brand of coconut coir pellets. Never again!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Tomato plants should sell well too :hide If needed! lol I need to sow some, thanks for reminding me!