Tortoise's 2018 garden(s)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My garden is still covered in snow, but this is my plan! My garden is approximately 1/5 acre. I want to set it up no-till so I'm not relying on the tractor (DH running the tractor). Each proposed permanent bed is 30 feet long and 30" - 36" wide. My planting guidelines are for 30" wide, but 36" was easier to draw on graph paper. :gig

The shaded areas are to be planted with white clover. The big x's on the side are lawn mower access for dumping grass clippings in the vine area.

IMG_4688.JPG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH has been fighting me about grow lights for years. He says it's futile. Because he's all-knowing after working in a greenhouse in college? 19 years ago, just sayin'

I transplanted most of the flat pictured above. They filled 2 flats, one per cell. (72! I only have garden space planned for 108 tomato plants and this is only 2 of 5 varieties!). I have them in a "healing chamber" as one would use for grafting. Haha, I was not joking about entertaining myself by reading stacks of library books about growing! I have learned a lot, and so much I don't know!

The remaining few are in full sun. I'm about out of space, I can only fit 20 flats in front of my patio door/window. I can see I'm going to have to split all the rest of my tomatoes into individual cells soon.

Good thing I am doing drop-in vending at the farmer's market - looks like I will need to sell some tomato plants! :D That would surely get DH's attention! And maybe get him to make my little greenhouse space larger and more functional?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'M GETTING MY WOODCHIPS!!!!!!!!

The electric company is having a tree service do a major trim, and they're right by my house now. The trucks pulled into my driveway and I ran out to tell them I was on the list for wood chips! I told them I'd take whatever I could get and they double-checked with me to see if multiple truck loads would be okay. Heck YES!

:celebrate

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
IMG_4706.JPG

the snow begins again....
let's take bets on my snow accumulation over the next 24 hours. Forecast says 10 - 16" now. Winner gets....... to plant something long before I get to. :gig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that when we save own seeds and plant outside, they will be as resilient. The plants are acclimated. I saw an article where a planter put seeds in their little pots late Fall/early Winter. Too cold to sprout. They stayed out all winter & sprouted in Spring. Mother Nature at her best?

I'll give it a try this Fall -- see what happens.