Tortoise's 2018 garden(s)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH asked what I wanted / wanted to do for Mother's Day. I told him I wanted "help" with the pitchforking work of marking out the rest of the garden beds, putting in t-posts for pea fence and tomato trellises, and setting put the rest of the pea fence. Yesterday he came out and helped (willingly) and DS11 (not willingly). He ran out of t-posts for 3 of the tomato rows, so I'll have to figure out something else for those. Pea fence is in.

I transplanted in cabbage and one row of tomatoes. They're sacrificial tomatoes that got fungus gnats and were starting to topple. I planted them deep and hopefully they'll hold on long enough to grow adventitious roots above the fungus gnat damage line and survive.

This morning, I weeded quack grass out of 9 beds (kohlrabi/spinach, 5 peas, 3 tomatoes). DS11 is still (not) working on prepping the last 5 permanent beds. I need to hoe, water, plant peas, plant onion sets, plant carrot/radish. And check my seed collection for anything else that needs to go in the ground right away.

I got lucky last night. Forecasted low was 45, but the airport (a few miles away) recorded 36 degrees! Thankful I didn't lose anything to frost. The forecasted overnight lows are creeping up and the average last frost date is tomorrow, so I'm going all in and :fl

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'M GETTING MY WOODCHIPS!!!!!!!!

The electric company is having a tree service do a major trim, and they're right by my house now. The trucks pulled into my driveway and I ran out to tell them I was on the list for wood chips! I told them I'd take whatever I could get and they double-checked with me to see if multiple truck loads would be okay. Heck YES!

:celebrate

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wealth. Wealth takes many forms. It can be the simplest things.

Congrats on the wood chips, I know what that means to you.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Then this happened. Mostly brown rectangle with fence around it is my garden. We've been SO dry.... until today! How many seeds were washed away? :sigh:

IMG_5110.JPG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I suppose silver lining is that other than the areas underwater, it's nice and wet for transplanting. I may have gone to the local greenhouse and bought 3 flats of veggies for buy one get one free. Broccoli because I didn't start any. Cauliflower because mine got a late start and don't look so great. Cabbage because mine don't look right. I had a few empty rows. LOL. Apparently nobody has seed potatoes left? I'll have to check the little hardware store in town.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh no rain :( Too much of a good thing? Hope it didn't wash away too many of your seeds, you worked so dang hard on that garden..