Totally Fed Up with ATT

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For about 3 weeks, when I turn on my wifi on my Ipad, my SSID would ahow up twice in available networks. 🙄Once in My Networks, and once in available. 😦
When I automatically connected to my wifi, it would say weak security. Id check and it says its WEP. its not supposed to be that. I check the settings online. Nothing is changed.
So ATT comes out, sets me up a new router. Think everything is ok. Not an hour after the technician left, the same thing started showing up. Two SSIDs, weak security, same crap as the other router.
Ive had the other router for years and its worked fine til a few weeks ago. I get a brand new one and its doing the same thing?
I dont know whats going on. Our electric company is running 5g out here but it wont be available til late this fall.
Guess I'll be calling ATT tomorrow and complaining. Again.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
make the switch to MCI and get free nights and weekends and long-distance for 5 cents a minute. because evidently it's still 1995 lol.

:gig :gig :gig :gig :gig
Pretty much stuck with this crappy service til the 5g runs thru.....been out here almost 30 years and still dont have cable.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the electric companies in this area, just ran the lines for internet hookup.... it is available up at the house I am in the process of buying. The neighbors have it and say it is really good. I currently have it through the phone company, (on a different elec co.), cancelled the phone but kept the internet. If we have rain, wind, or just whenever it feels like it has a reason, I will lose the connection. Part is that the phone lines are getting old and since no one has landlines anymore.... they don't replace or fix the phone lines. I will be so glad to get something that I can reliably use. Our cell service here went to he// in a hand basket with all the stay at home use with the virus..... and I am lucky now to get texts and the phone will sometimes connect but then all of a sudden I get the "call lost" or no service message. They are finally starting the road/driveway, for the cell tower that is going to be built on my son's property which will help down here, but I will be up there closer to the tower, and where there is decent service most of the time anyway. I feel for you as it will be late fall before I get moved.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For about 3 weeks, when I turn on my wifi on my Ipad, my SSID would ahow up twice in available networks. 🙄Once in My Networks, and once in available. 😦
When I automatically connected to my wifi, it would say weak security. Id check and it says its WEP. its not supposed to be that. I check the settings online. Nothing is changed.
So ATT comes out, sets me up a new router. Think everything is ok. Not an hour after the technician left, the same thing started showing up. Two SSIDs, weak security, same crap as the other router.
Ive had the other router for years and its worked fine til a few weeks ago. I get a brand new one and its doing the same thing?
I dont know whats going on. Our electric company is running 5g out here but it wont be available til late this fall.
Guess I'll be calling ATT tomorrow and complaining. Again.

If your worried about someone spying on your network, why not try WPA2? WPA2, is an improvement on WEP and is expected to replace, the original Wi-Fi security standard, WEP.

I have security off completely on my WiFi because ain't no one close enough to me to pick the signal. Except when your in my house. Occasionally I might get signal in the shop but it's iffy... My house sits back far enough off the road that ain't no one gonna get a signal. It's pretty handy when I get visitors then don't need a password

For my work PC, I'm hardwired Ethernet. and have wifi completely off, so that's pretty darn secured. I shut the router of when I'm done with work and turn it on when I go to work only so I can VPN into the corporate network and do my work.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If your worried about someone spying on your network, why not try WPA2? WPA2, is an improvement on WEP and is expected to replace, the original Wi-Fi security standard, WEP.

I have security off completely on my WiFi because ain't no one close enough to me to pick the signal. Except when your in my house. Occasionally I might get signal in the shop but it's iffy... My house sits back far enough off the road that ain't no one gonna get a signal. It's pretty handy when I get visitors then don't need a password

For my work PC, I'm hardwired Ethernet. and have wifi completely off, so that's pretty darn secured. I shut the router of when I'm done with work and turn it on when I go to work only so I can VPN into the corporate network and do my work.

It IS on WPA2-AES. The strongest security. It SHOULD NOT be saying its broadcasting on WEP at all. When you go to the settings, it shows the security level. When I turn on wifi to connect, next thing I know, it says its weak security and WEP isnt great blah blah....do not know why its doing this at all.
We thought maybe my old router was just going out but with a brand new one doing the same thing? Its just very odd. I mean, it started doing the same thing the old one did within an hour of being set up.
I dont mess with the settings on the ATT homepage. The only thing Ive ever done is go in and change the password.
I cant turn off the wifi because I have cameras I check during the day to keep an eye on the critters so it has to stay on. PITA getting them connected to the new router since some are ladder only accessable. That was fun.
I called them and complained. Again. Probably will be doing that alot.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the electric companies in this area, just ran the lines for internet hookup.... it is available up at the house I am in the process of buying. The neighbors have it and say it is really good. I currently have it through the phone company, (on a different elec co.), cancelled the phone but kept the internet. If we have rain, wind, or just whenever it feels like it has a reason, I will lose the connection. Part is that the phone lines are getting old and since no one has landlines anymore.... they don't replace or fix the phone lines. I will be so glad to get something that I can reliably use. Our cell service here went to he// in a hand basket with all the stay at home use with the virus..... and I am lucky now to get texts and the phone will sometimes connect but then all of a sudden I get the "call lost" or no service message. They are finally starting the road/driveway, for the cell tower that is going to be built on my son's property which will help down here, but I will be up there closer to the tower, and where there is decent service most of the time anyway. I feel for you as it will be late fall before I get moved.
Yeah, our electric company CEMC, is doing the same thing. I cant wait. The installation got pushed back because of the stay at home bs so I will have to wait a little longer, but as soon as its available, goodbye ATT!
Whenever it rained or we had bad weather, the wifi is crap. But here lately, its crap all the time. The repair dude said ATT has no plans on fixing the junction box, even though I was told in the past that it was on the list to be upgraded. He also said ATT is phasing the repair workers out. His last day was the 17th of next month.
Im glad your getting your house. It will be nice to have a place to call your own.
I bet that witch you've been dealing with is just furious its still going in. Hope she likes wasting her money on frivilous lawsuits she keeps losing.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we finally were able to get a decent connection via a local ISP that set up radio towers (not cell phone service). otherwise i'd be on dial-up line still. we are at the end of the wire here and very iffy it will continue for phone service as ATT does not want to put any money into fixing or expanding service underground, certainly for not as few houses that are along this part of the road. the cable we are using we have the last two wires and they are not even a twisted pair.

the most recent service call (last week) someone had taken out the big cable with a brush hog so the guy had to find and splice all the pairs again. it took him most of the day. when he got done he came back and there was still a bit of noise on the line so he went back to the main junction and had to replace a coil. he said it crumbled when he touched it... at least this time it wasn't mice and snakes. that is a common happening that the mice get in the cabinets and then the snakes get in them to get the mice.

i asked the guy how long he thought it would be before ATT pulled the plug on the wire network and he said they would have already done it if they could have years ago... so that tells you where their priorities are... i was not surprised at all at yesterday's announcement of layoffs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It IS on WPA2-AES. The strongest security. It SHOULD NOT be saying its broadcasting on WEP at all. When you go to the settings, it shows the security level. When I turn on wifi to connect, next thing I know, it says its weak security and WEP isnt great blah blah....do not know why its doing this at all.
We thought maybe my old router was just going out but with a brand new one doing the same thing? Its just very odd. I mean, it started doing the same thing the old one did within an hour of being set up.
I dont mess with the settings on the ATT homepage. The only thing Ive ever done is go in and change the password.
I cant turn off the wifi because I have cameras I check during the day to keep an eye on the critters so it has to stay on. PITA getting them connected to the new router since some are ladder only accessable. That was fun.
I called them and complained. Again. Probably will be doing that alot.
So do you have something (camera maybe) configured for wep?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what the repair dude told me too. ATT isnt going to put any money in upgrading or anything else. They dont care. Fine. Soon as I can get the 5g...goodbye!