Totally Fed Up with ATT

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So do you have something (camera maybe) configured for wep?
Nope. All the cams are hardwired except for the Wyzecams. The Nest cam wont even stay connected at all. Keeps going offline and its literally right next to the router. I turned it off Im so fed up. The router didnt do this at all til about 3 weeks ago and its gotten worse each day. Its not anything on my end. Its ATT. They dont care.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we will be seeing more and more of this type of stuff. Phone companies, Cable, Electric Companies... they have been losing money (i.e. not making as much of a profit as they want) so they cut back on maintenance. Stupid way to do things but... and I think we need to be prepared for less reliable systems, brownouts and blackouts as this moves forward. It's the beginning of a major Depression.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Of course -- I don't understand a lot of the tech stuff you guys bring on BUT -- I do understand lack of service :D My ONLY option is satellite & you know how that goes. Yep, even report of rain coming & it dies. Being rural, not enough consumers to bring in much more. If the electric co-op offered service, I'd sure try it!

Absolutely, since the lockdown and work from home crap, the service is slower -- hard to imagine! -- and I can't see improvements coming. My daughter totally dropped all but the smart phone service and uses a "hot spot" -- what ever that is. LOL. thru the phone. Me -- no smart phone.

Between the phone service and the satellite fees....I may be paying as much as what she gets on just "phone service" BUT--there's the cost of a smart phone that's smarter than me.

Heck, I just figured out how to get to a set-up on my tablet that I couldn't before -- totally by accident! :celebrate:old

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think we will be seeing more and more of this type of stuff. Phone companies, Cable, Electric Companies... they have been losing money (i.e. not making as much of a profit as they want) so they cut back on maintenance. Stupid way to do things but... and I think we need to be prepared for less reliable systems, brownouts and blackouts as this moves forward. It's the beginning of a major Depression.
Can you imagine the chaos when teenagers cant get on FB?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back in 2006, when we moved out to Wyoming I called to get the phone hooked up. They wanted $63/month just for us to have a dial tone at the house. After adding on a calling plan - free local calls and 0 minuets of long distance - the charge would have been $89. With a reasonable amount of long distance calls it would have been $160 per month. Looking at the bill, I saw that the Federal Government was paying them another $36 per month for me to be hooked up because we were rural.
That is why I have a cell phone.

We just got hooked up to Cellcom (or something like that) for our internet service. It runs through the phone line, but it works better than the Hughes Net that we were paying over $100 more for. It still runs slow during peak times, but DH has been working from home and Hughes Net was not working at all for him so he was using his phone to Hot Spot. He was in heaven the one day I forgot my phone at home and he got to hot-spot on my phone for video conference/working online and answer phone calls on his. Talking on the phone without loosing connection with the computer was a huge deal for him. Now he can work on the computer and still have his phone available for phone stuff. Like playing music on the blue-tooth speaker. lol.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm like @Mini Horses , it is all "greek" to me. I don't have a smart phone either. I keep thinking I might get one... then I keep hearing about all the stuff it can track, and I get paranoid and say no way. I just don't know. I am going to have to upgrade my flip phone though.... it is ANCIENT and they say it won't work one of these days.....
Most of the "younger" farmers will use the hot spot with the phone so I can sent the data off their computers to the computer center in Raleigh NC.... no need for a "hard hookup like my DSL.... I just don't really want to get so wound up with all this fancy stuff but it would be nice to be able to get connected sometimes to things without being at the mercy of the weather, or the number of people on the internet.... or anything.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a cheap, relatively simple way to block your cell phone from being tracked.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And the important thing to remember when using the Faraday Pouch is to turn your phone to Airplane mode so it doesn't burn all its battery charge searching for signal. I have to turn my phone to airplane mode when I go northto the cabin. No signal in the deep woods, so turn the phone to airplane mode. I use the phone for music so I don't turn it off.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Or, you can just buy one.

Screenshot_20200619-072011_Amazon Shopping.jpg