Totally orgasmic canned peppers

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, after three years of searching the internet, asking, begging and trying to connive this stupid recipe out of the fool of an ex boyfriend (and all of his family members who knew it), I FINALLY have my recipe!!! I am so excited that my mouth is watering and I swear my mouth has had an orgasm just thinking about the canned peppers! I used to eat the HECK out of these things... Literally, I'd eat about a pint per day, slathering it on everything, cooking it in everything, etc. I could LIVE off of canned venison, these peppers and potatoes. Oh, and canadian bacon, cheese, bacon and these peppers in a sammich. I think my heart is racing over all of this! I almost want to skip EVERYTHING else in the garden and just plant the banana peppers to can all of them up, lol. Anyways, here's the recipe:

60 banana peppers
4 cups vegetable oil
4 cups white vinegar
64 ozs ketchup
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp salt

ETA: Of course, the veggie oil can be subbed for any other [liquid at room temp] oil, they always used olive oil, which is what I plan to use as well.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Process?

Are the peppers roasted? Peeled?

Everything else added, and then refrigerated? Frozen? Canned? If so, how long?

Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

Besides, my tongue is longing for the same experience that you had!!! :lol:

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just slice your banana peppers up in rings and pack the jar... Add your "sauce" and can them. Seeded peppers makes for a hot mix, unseeded makes for sweet peppers. :) Can how you'd can peppers... I personally waterbath everything that isn't supposed to be waterbathed. The sauce will be an emulsion type, everything will be mixed for the entire time that it is in the jar, but when you pop an open jar in the fridge, it'll seperate a little bit, but still tastes awesome. After all of the peppers are used out of the jar, I use the sauce up on anything I'd put the peppers in/on.

ETA: I'm not the only one who is in love with these peppers. My parents didn't go crazy over them like I did, but NORMAL people LOVE them. We used to trade jars of these peppers for stuff, and everyone always came back for more, and asked what else they could do/trade for peppers. So, they're a good barter item as well (if you're not crazy and hoard them all for yourself). Depending on how many pints I get, I may just hoard every last jar for myself, MAYBE giving a jar to my brother. If I get 100 pints, maybe, just maybe I'll let more than one jar out of my grasp, lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well if they're that good I have to try them :D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How many pints does that make? About 10 or 12? And are these known as "sweet banana peppers"? Not Hungarian Wax? I may try to find some plants to put out, as I clear out the bolted lettuce.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow sounds incredibly interesting...
am wondering though...thought i
had heard oil and canning was a no no...??

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, make these at your own risk. We've never had any issues with it. I've also grown up on water bath canned venison and green beans, which are more no-no's. Also eat half raw steak, some sometimes uncooked (just warmed with smoke) steak. Have one hell of a digestive system, as I've never gotten sick from any type of food. If they smell off, don't eat them. Again, make at your own risk.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is an approved/tested method you could use for general directions for making this pepper recipe, however I would also second that you are doing this at your own risk ;) as far as if this recipe is safe or not since most oil recipes never see the testing for the home canner.
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningpeppersinoil.htm

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that if you cut down the amount of oil and pressure can the recipe you should be just fine. I pressure can all sorts of "convenience meals" that have some oil or fat in them, let alone soup stock/broth and meat that have fat rise to the top of the jar, and have never had a problem. :)

If you use a strong flavoured olive oil, I can see these still tasting absolutely wonderful with far less (maybe take it down to 1 cup) than the listed amount of oil--you could even throw an olive into each jar for more of that flavour!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The recipe I shared was passed down from a few generations, so I'm going to say that it is, actually, "tested". Of course, anyone can use the pressure canner, or forego the recipe completely if they don't feel it's safe. Certainly not going to shove it down someone's throat, lol.