TP Scam!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone by now has noticed that most companies are downsizing their products so that they can keep selling them at about the same price. They knock off a couple ounces from the box, make things smaller, put less in the package...

Get this, I've always bought Scott 1000 because I have a septic and because it's more economical than most other TP brands. Usually I'll get the 20 pack at Wally World for $15-and-some-odd-change, but recently I got a 16 pack at RiteAid because I was already there and I had a coupon.

I forget now what I paid for it, but the issue is the RiteAid version of the same tp is 1 cm wider on the roll than the Walmart TP of the same brand, # of sheets is the same per roll. Why on earth would they manufacture it in 2 different widths?

I noticed we were going thru it faster than usual. It's a Walmart conspiracy! :rant
I hate Walmart. Just another good reason to stay out of there.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My guess is that Rite Aid had some old stock. Once the sale is over, Im sure they will have the shorter rolls too.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm...that is a good theory. I will have to buy another pack and find out!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The retailer usually doesn't make those decisions, but in the case of walmart who knows. They could have done that to make sure the price stays the same despite raising manufacturing cost.

Always know your per unit cost. TP lists the square footage on their package. Divide the price by the sq ft to get the cents per sq ft price.

I have switched brands several times because the manufacturers keep jacking with the roll size, thickness etc... but if you check the price per unit cost, you will know what the TRUE value of what you are buying is.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I only buy one brand....ever...lol
Angel Soft

others have clogged up my septic system or were too quilted or too thin etc etc for some reason only this Angel Soft suits me and the price is good too. Anytime it is on sale I buy $50 worth at least and it sure lasts.

but all stores have cheater packages. it is up to the consumer to realize what cheaper packages are on the shelf and shop careful...one of the worst offenders is stores like CVS, Dollar Stores, and Walgreens...those types of stores are always selling cheater sizes. So be on the lookout is best anyone can do.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
About a year ago the dog food I always bought went from a 40lb bad to a 32lb bag. I used to be able to go a month on a 40lb bag. Easier to carry, but it runs out before the month is up.

I have noticed many things are giving less per package, but the price is the same, or higher.

I don't think it will be getting better anytime soon.
pull_hair.gif

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It's an easy way for them to battle inflation.

Prices going up makes people buy less. So if they keep the price the same, most folk don't notice and don't stop buying. Their only option to keep in business, therefore, is to drop sizes to keep the prices even :)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
It's an easy way for them to battle inflation.

Prices going up makes people buy less. So if they keep the price the same, most folk don't notice and don't stop buying. Their only option to keep in business, therefore, is to drop sizes to keep the prices even :)
Yep... I suppose it is a less painless method than raising the prices.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
;) We found a way around the sneakyness. Still buy some TP, but its a fraction of what we used to buy.