tractor for 5-acre homestead

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're looking to buy (already made an offer) on a 5-acre plot and I'm researching tractors because I'll need one right away. So far, I've been advised that live hydraulics and PTO are recommended. Any suggestions? I have to keep it under 4,500 $, but I'll have another 1,000 $ for implements. And I live in MN, where there are winter temperatures and hydraulics are needed, even when it's cold out.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
$4500 is going to be very limiting for a multi-purpose tractor. These things are so darned expensive it's crazy. In my opinion, for 5 acres you would want a 20 to 25 HP with a 54" to 60" mid-mount mower and a front end loader. I'm a firm believer in "buy American" but, dog-gone-it, the Japanese models are so nice. Expensive but nice. JD, Ford, New Holland, Ferguson, and many other common name brands are mostly made in China these days. I presently own a 26 HP Kubota and that little sucker was over $13k five years ago. That's outrageous.

If I were you I would be looking at older Ford, Ferguson, Case/IH, Farmall, and JD tractors with live PTO and front end loader. All of the tractors in the 20 to 30 HP range have the same design cat-1 three point hitch and rear PTO so implements are easily interchangeable.

In 1989 I bought a 1952 Harry Ferguson TO-30 and used it for 20 years. With careful upkeep the older tractors are very reliable and excellent workhorses. I sold my TO-30 in 2008 and it was like new.

Good luck.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I agree w/looking for an older tractor. Sometimes you can even find the one you want w/all the attachments for cheap. Keep an eye out on CL, TSC, etc and see what you can find.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our tractor is either a '57 or '58 Ford model 800. Was used when Pa bought it. Dependable, and we used to farm around 30 acres. Now only a couple and hardly ever use it. I "think" it is rated at 15 HP.

You can find them around here in running, good shape but not restored for around $2,500 up to $5,000.

I sold one at a farm auction this spring in great condition with a disc, cultivator, bush-hog, box blade and a hay fork for $4,000.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm also in the market to buy a tractor and my price range demands it to be used. I thought I had one that would fit my bill, but the owner decided not to sell, as of yet. I may be considering buying the 'tractor' parts that you can attach to the back of 3 and 4 wheelers. I'd need a bushhog and a tiller/plower type attachment....and of course the 4 wheeler, which I figure I could get a lot easier than a tractor.
Has anyone gone that route?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm anxious about toy implements. Anyway, a utility type quad isn't cheap either.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce - I tried that for several years out at the hunting shack. In my opinion it works but the implements are typically light duty and some do not do a very good job. Especially a plough or cultivator. Also my ATV was an automatic (like most) and it would not go slow enough enough for our 54" tag-along mower. I had to give it enough gas to get it moving but then I had to keep it moving pretty fast or else it would stop. It was too fast for grass cutting - especially tall grass.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ended up getting a 1954 Ford NAA, which is rated for 27 HP at the drawbar and about 30 at the PTO/belt [1]. Turns out there's a vibrant community of enthusiasts who use and restore these old Ford tractors. There's lots of parts and knowledge out there, which makes it a good tractor for us SS folks.

Implements are expensive. For a 6' disc harrow or 2-bottom plow it'll cost me 500-1000 each, depending on if I buy used or new. Even used stuff is expensive. And transportation is an issue...

1. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/1/219-ford-naa.html

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's the type of tractor I first learned to drive. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh man! You're gonna fall in love. The NAA is a wonderful workhorse. I'm happy for you. yesterdaystractors.com is a great site with lots of information.