Training Boi - Mobility Service Dog

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get excited when Sheba sits. I am trying to teach her not to dig into her feed pan when I set it down. She jumps up and down, ROOOOOing and RRAALLLWWWing at me, trying to get her to sit is like trying to teach a cat not to crap in the garden.

Sentry sits, squirmy, but he sits. Carson is a lost cause, he wants FOOD and he inhales and it is gone. Trip is.......well, he is Trip. Paris is sweet and wants to be petted first. And THAT is the extent of my dogs Tricks For Food!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have Raine and Beau hit the deck before they get fed. I can point at the ground and tell Beau 'down' and he drops. I point at the ground in front of Raine and she paws at my hand thinking it's a game....sigh. That little girl....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Boi responded to me suddenly lyind down to avoid falling. I thought he was asleep! He did the elevating legs task with 1 cue and smoothly went into abdomimal compression (which he just learned today!) He walked away after I cued him for the 2 bracing tasks - supporting me sitting and assist to stand. I sat on a chair for a while and he leaned on my abdomen more. I think this will turn i to a different task. I often cant sit up without support due to weakness (from cerebral hypoperfusion, not actually weak muscles), so this could be very helpful. I got up to wasb dishes and still was stumbling/unsteasy and he got up from his bed and offered the leg compression brace. No cue. 😍

With Baymax, I had to cue everything except the fainting alert. And if she wasnt in a mood to work she made it clear. 😩 Boi's work ethic is a welcome relief!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo Boi! So glad he's working out so well for you! It has to bring a certain peace of mind having him around!

Laughing because I've had dogs like that. I DO get excited when dogs retrieve because I've had the frustration of working with sogs who wont.
I got so excited because the very first time I threw it he retrieved it and dropped it at my feet. Jaw drop time, lol. Raine will chase it and mouth it and then strut off saying in very loud body language "if you want it back, come and get it yourself." That girl...."Diva" doesn't do her justice!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm having a POTSy day (tachy, dizzy, falling) which is a great day for training a service dog. 🎉 He is doing fantastic, he's legit helpful which I wouldnt expect with how little training he has had.

I need to teach him hold to roll me onto my back. Right now he cant task when I cant roll myself.

Latest posts