Training Boi - Mobility Service Dog

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So today I worked with Raine on down/stay. She did great! So great in fact that she saw no reason to get up when the lesson was over, lol. She's like....ummm...treats for just chillin on the dining room floor - why get up, lol. Oh dang - this dog!! One step at a time....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed Boi was following my everywhere, even though he wasn't wearing his gear. I was not noticing symptoms - they creep up on me like that. He was right! I'm delighted! He's showing the ability and work ethic I need him to have.

When I was upset last night, he sniffed my skin and then "corncobbed" my arm - nibbling with his front teeth in a line as in a person eating a cob of corn. When he met my friend who has severe depression, he kept doing that to her. He didn't hurt me so I didn't discourage it at all. It has potential to become a task. My diagnoses are correlated with high rates of depression and suicide, so it has potential to become a task. I'm very pleased he was able to identify a difference, apparently by scent, and then responded to it.

Nothing particularly interesting today - so much of dog training can be described this way!

Practiced positions. Oh! I added walking-to-stand which confuses most dogs. Boi figured it out, but it will take a lot of repetition. This is an important skill for his bracing tasks. I added a couple seconds of duration to his positions since his motivation and engagement are staying high.

Practiced crawling under my legs and standing up for the task of elevating my legs. This will take endless training since I expect to be unable to cue or support him when I need him to do this.

DS13 had the front door open and Boi ran out. He loves to romp in the snow so I waited for a good long while before going out with a bag of treats. He came up on the deck, got some treats, and ran off again. He came up to me on the driveway, more treats for being near me, and he ran off again. Third time he came close to me was on the deck. I stuffed his face with treats to keep him nearby while I opened the door, shooed him in, and fed him the rest of the bag of treats. Obviously I haven't trained recall yet. :gig Let's call that his first recall training session?

I might just need to get over my anxiety and do that every day now. Wait until he is hungry and begging after dark, put him out, and wait for his feet to get cold. Then go out with his fave treats and reward him for coming near me. After dark, he won't be distracted by the goats. I'll have to bring the cats inside first so he doesn't learn to chase them.

That's not a formal obedience recall, but I think it will make my life easier so it's worth doing things "wrong" this time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good Boi! As well as he responds to your training, he will nail recall in no time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Raine the other day. She got out and was enjoying her romp. Big difference - I reacted totally differently and got annoyed and impatient. I need to try your tactic.

Raine's breeder kept impressing on me that Raine was the most people lovin' pup in her litter. She really is a people lover - but not especially a people pleaser like Beau, lol! We need to work on that.

Go Boi! You are doing wonderful things with him and he's really responding!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow, I really let this thread go. I'm sorry! Thank you for asking!

Boi's is unstuck on retrieve. He isnt throwing retrieve objects or pouncing on them. I took video and captured some ways I was miscommunicating with him, was able to fix them.

The go-potty-recall is coming along. I found a toy he likes better than harassing goats. He is coming back to the house in a couple minutes rather than half hour plus.

Positions - priority is adding duration to stand [and stay] without losing his motivation.

I havent trained as much per day because of my worse-than-usual sleep.