Training Boi - Mobility Service Dog

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I decided to make a separate thread about training my service dog so it doesnt get buried on my journal.

I have disabling chronic illnesses that cause me to
fall (with or without warning),
faint when standing or walking (no warning, blessedly infrequently)
Lose vision when standing
Lose balance
Reduced blood flow to my brain which makes brains cause fatigue and muscle weakness, sometimes that comes on so suddenly I'm stuck in a dangerous situation - like beginning to lose consciousness in a bathtub 😨
Reocurring tendon injuries, particulary in my shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands, so that I'm not able to use a manual wheelchair as much as I need
Unstable joints that subluxate frequently and without warning in feet, knee, hip
Blood pooling in my legs - which causes all the cerebral hypoperfusion and syncope effects above

This is definitely an extremely abbreviated list for the purpose of readers having context for my dog's task training.

I have trained and handled service dogs since 2004. At one time, when I was more mobile, I was a professional dog trainer teaching disabled people to owner-train their own service dogs.

I purchased an 11 month old Great Dane puppy from a wonderful couple early October 2020.

He is unsuitable as a housepet for all the reasons that make him the perfect working dog for me! When he has one day off from training/working, he's okay-ish if closely supervised. Two days off and he turns into ... like Tigger from Winnie-the-Poo, except 130# and flailing in circles while bouncing. 🤣 Put his harness on, have him work for 15 minutes and he transforms to calm, steady working dog and takes a nap when he gets a chance. 😍

I will post training updates here.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Teenage phase continues! 😂 He has been refusing to do things. He is so funny about it. He hears the cue, looks at the thing hes supposed to pick up, and then starts looking around the room. "I hear you, I understand, and I refuse."

Nice try puppy, I'm a teenage human mom too, I've got this! I stopped feeding him in a food bowl so the only food he gets comes during training. Between training sessions, I'm kenneling him. This increases engagement. And if he refuses a cue, the training session is over, back to the kennel.

He is coming 'round to see things my way. 😂

I switched from bucket retrieve/carry to basket. (Basket is easier). I'm putting the basket about 6 feet away and gaving him bring it to me. He likes to pick up the handle and throw the basket! 🤣 so I filled it up with medication bottles. He still throws it, but not hard enough to spill most the time. The times he spilled it he retrieved the spilled bottles and brought those to me. 😍

He is starting to bark at unfamiliar noises, knocking at the door, etc. I'm not pleased. Baymax starts it!!!! She barks once and stops- which is my preferred reaction. Boi carries on and on! Will drive me crazy. But this is a delicate thing to train. Too much correction and a puppy becomes nervous and will bark more. Not enough correction and the behavior escalates because its self-rewarding.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Too smart can be really hard to deal with in service dogs. Remember they are trained to open doors, cabinet doors, garbage cans, the fridge. A very smart dog with service dog training can be a danger to itself. 😂 Thats a reason I like working with Great Danes. Trainable, but dumb! 😂😍

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Boi responded to me suddenly lyind down to avoid falling. I thought he was asleep! He did the elevating legs task with 1 cue and smoothly went into abdomimal compression (which he just learned today!) He walked away after I cued him for the 2 bracing tasks - supporting me sitting and assist to stand. I sat on a chair for a while and he leaned on my abdomen more. I think this will turn i to a different task. I often cant sit up without support due to weakness (from cerebral hypoperfusion, not actually weak muscles), so this could be very helpful. I got up to wasb dishes and still was stumbling/unsteasy and he got up from his bed and offered the leg compression brace. No cue. 😍

With Baymax, I had to cue everything except the fainting alert. And if she wasnt in a mood to work she made it clear. 😩 Boi's work ethic is a welcome relief!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo Boi! So glad he's working out so well for you! It has to bring a certain peace of mind having him around!

Laughing because I've had dogs like that. I DO get excited when dogs retrieve because I've had the frustration of working with sogs who wont.
I got so excited because the very first time I threw it he retrieved it and dropped it at my feet. Jaw drop time, lol. Raine will chase it and mouth it and then strut off saying in very loud body language "if you want it back, come and get it yourself." That girl...."Diva" doesn't do her justice!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I made some bad choices this morning and had an ugly training session on basket retrieve. He was confused, I was frustrated. 😑

DH, kids, Boi and I went for a shopping trip. DH prefers to go alone, but he knew I wanted to train in a store today and I was too tired to drive. So sweet. It was a quick stop at Menards. We each needed one thing for projects we are working on. I didnt do any planned training, but the exposure was good.

Boi rides in the middle of the backseat between my kids. His harness is clipped to the seatbelt. He sits on the seat, legs on the floor, and rests his head on the console or driver's shoulder.

We got drive thru and ate in the car, which was... interesting. :gig He was fine and I didnt allow him opportunity to try to take food.

It was good experience to take a trial run with taking Boi with the family. DH is a shy guy, so he avoids situations that I need help. He would rather push my wheelchair than having a service dog attract attention. 🤷‍♀️ I get a lot more attention when I use my wheelchair, soo.... whatever? 😁

After we were home for a while, Boi started engaging again - showing he is ready to train (or wants rewards). I tried the basket retrieve again, but set up my session better. He was able to hold onto the basket more reliably this evening. (He had regressed to throwing it this morning).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So today I worked with Raine on down/stay. She did great! So great in fact that she saw no reason to get up when the lesson was over, lol. She's like....ummm...treats for just chillin on the dining room floor - why get up, lol. Oh dang - this dog!! One step at a time....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today we worked on these skills.

Taking a glass item (beer bottle) from my hand and holding it in his mouth.

Taking a small cardboard box from my hand and holding in his mouth.

Picking up my shoes and delivering to my hand.

Picking up dropped leash handle and delivering to my hand.

Pushing the couch footrest down with his nose.

Compressing my thighs while I'm standing at the kitchen counter - without sniffing or resting his chin on the counter!

Walking with me everywhere I go when his harness is on.

Elevating my legs after a fall.

Thigh and abdomen compression after elevating legs.

Non-weightbearing brace assist to stand. He wont do weightbearing bracing until his bones are fully developed, but he can learn the behaviors now.

Leash tug assist to stand - this one is getting pretty good!