Trees are going in.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sat we went over to a nearby nursery & got a fuji apple tree, rio red grapefruit & lemon tree. WE palnted the apple right away after getting home & yesterday the grapefruit went in. Today I believe the lemon is going in & I will be ordering a granny smith apple, elberta peach & 2 concord grape vines from Stark Bros nursery. Hopefully all will do well for us & start producing something this yr.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hope they do great for you! I adore fuji apples! My all time favorites. Wish we could have grapefruit trees here. Any kind of citrus! I put in two dwarf apple trees in the fall. Hope to have fruit in a couple of years. I'd like to add peaches. My grandmother's middle name was Elberta, after the peach! Dad's is Elbert after her. Just the thought of Elberta peaches makes me smile! Now concord grapes remind me of my grandfather on the other side. He was my gardening guru and that grandmother made the best grape jelly ever! Have fun!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on the fruit trees. They are my favorite thing in the garden. My plum and peach are starting to flower. I am hoping for a good crop this year. I let a neighbor "fix" my trees. They needed a good pruning. Ummm lets just say there are not many branches left. But I know the trees will be better next year. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have a lot of peach trees. Several of them have started to bloom. Not good, considering we're having all this rain right now.
If you're going to plant peaches you might want to find out if they are freestone or cling peaches. Freestone peaches are just what they say, the flesh seperates from the pit real easily. This is real handy when trying to can peaches, because you can get nice slices.
I have lots of canned peaches in the pantry still. I eat a jar nearly every evening. Home canned peaches taste sooo much better. But I am looking forward to those first mouthwatering dripping warm juicy peaches fresh from the tree...drooool
Planting fruit trees is definitely a good investment. Dwarf trees produce sooner than standard trees. We plant one or two new trees every year.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Hope they do great for you! I adore fuji apples! My all time favorites. Wish we could have grapefruit trees here. Any kind of citrus! I put in two dwarf apple trees in the fall. Hope to have fruit in a couple of years. I'd like to add peaches. My grandmother's middle name was Elberta, after the peach! Dad's is Elbert after her. Just the thought of Elberta peaches makes me smile! Now concord grapes remind me of my grandfather on the other side. He was my gardening guru and that grandmother made the best grape jelly ever! Have fun!!!
Nice memories! The trees are all standard size ones we got Sat. The jelly is why I am getting the concord grapes first.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Congrats on the fruit trees. They are my favorite thing in the garden. My plum and peach are starting to flower. I am hoping for a good crop this year. I let a neighbor "fix" my trees. They needed a good pruning. Ummm lets just say there are not many branches left. But I know the trees will be better next year. :)
I am hoping for a plum too, but right now i am the only one besides my dad who eats them. Hope our trees recover okay.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
We have a lot of peach trees. Several of them have started to bloom. Not good, considering we're having all this rain right now.
If you're going to plant peaches you might want to find out if they are freestone or cling peaches. Freestone peaches are just what they say, the flesh seperates from the pit real easily. This is real handy when trying to can peaches, because you can get nice slices.
I have lots of canned peaches in the pantry still. I eat a jar nearly every evening. Home canned peaches taste sooo much better. But I am looking forward to those first mouthwatering dripping warm juicy peaches fresh from the tree...drooool
Planting fruit trees is definitely a good investment. Dwarf trees produce sooner than standard trees. We plant one or two new trees every year.
My orange trees are blossoming right now & smell wonderful!! The info in the catalog doesn't say which type of peach they are. It does say it is a small pit to fruit ratio so a smaller pit & more ruit is a good thing. When I go online to order i will see if I can get more info.
The trees we got Sat are all standard(although grpaefruit & lemon aren't huge trees anyway). The peach is a standard & the golden delicious is a semi dwarf, as will be the granny smith I get next yr. I really don't want to go any smaller than the semi dwarf if possible.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
If your Concords take you will never need to buy another vine. They are simple easy to root from cuttings placed in garden soil. I have a vineyard of them started from cuttings of DH's grandfather's 140 acre vineyard. Everyone around here grew for Welch's / CocaCola.

I would be surprised if any of your trees produced this year, esp because they are standards and will be set back from transplanting/planting. Concords might.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The guy at the nursery told me the citrus might produce a few fruits this yr, because they were a little bit older than the other ones. The apple I am not expecting anything from but maybe a few blossoms. If I can get my concords in in time I am optomistic about getting grapes this yr. Will have to research how to root from cuttings on them if I want to expand the vines out. I do want to get green & red grape vines also, for a little variety. But probobly that will be next yr.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
The guy at the nursery told me the citrus might produce a few fruits this yr, because they were a little bit older than the other ones. The apple I am not expecting anything from but maybe a few blossoms. If I can get my concords in in time I am optomistic about getting grapes this yr. Will have to research how to root from cuttings on them if I want to expand the vines out. I do want to get green & red grape vines also, for a little variety. But probobly that will be next yr.
You can ask me next year how to take root cuttings; I'd be more than happy to tell you.
Cool on the citrus!