Trees are going in.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Homesteadmom said:
The guy at the nursery told me the citrus might produce a few fruits this yr, because they were a little bit older than the other ones. The apple I am not expecting anything from but maybe a few blossoms. If I can get my concords in in time I am optomistic about getting grapes this yr. Will have to research how to root from cuttings on them if I want to expand the vines out. I do want to get green & red grape vines also, for a little variety. But probobly that will be next yr.
You can ask me next year how to take root cuttings; I'd be more than happy to tell you.
Cool on the citrus!
I'll do that, thanks!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We love having our fruit trees, even though we haven't had the best of luck with them.

We had a gorgeous plum tree, and it was blown over by last year's tornado.

Our pear tree was hit with Fire Blight and had to be cut down and burned. We replaced the pear with two Bartlett pear trees. After they got to be about four inches i diameter, I removed the fencing from around them. A buck rubbed all of the bark off of one, and the tree died. The other, it turns out, must have had the wrong tag on it as it turned out to be an ornamental and only flowers.

We have been fighting some type of mold problem on our two aged peach trees for the last several years. This year's ice storm came close to leaving only the main trunks still standing, so I'm not too sure what we'll do with these.

Currently, we are in an ownership dispute over the apple trees. It seems that the local deer population has claimed them as their own. I have put fences around each individual tree in an effort to protect them. Last season we watched as a large deer stood on it's hind leg and pulled a branch down and held it over the fence, while other deer ate the apples from it.

Oh well. We have enough apple trees to where, once they all start producing, that we'll have plenty to share with the deer. We have planted four varieties from Starks, as well as Yellow Delicious, Red Delicious, Mutsu, Mollie, and Arkansas Black.

Currently we have 15 surviving apple trees, 2 cherry, 1 pear (destined to be replaced with a variety that actually bears fruit), 1 lime, two Pawpaws, and two Satsuma oranges (in the greenhouse).

This spring we will be planting two pear, two persimmon and two plum. We are also considering adding a few nut trees if we can get enough area cleared for them.

Oh well, I've rambled enough. I guess I'll head back out to the garden with the tiller. We have started getting the garden ready for Spring.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k0xxx have you tried hanging bars of soap from your trees to keep the deer away. A friend does this with his young apple trees and it works well. You can also buy a powdered form of coyote pee and sprinkle it around your orchard to keep the deer out.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
congrats on the fruit trees we just bought 14 last week and 4 more this week. You can tell that spring is getting close.;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wow Koxxx, what a story on your trees :ep

You must have more land than we do here. On our property up north we will be planting a lot more trees than down here.

Nightshade, spring is here for us. Planting the garden this weekend!!! :woot :woot :woot

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nightshade, where do you live? I am in the desert & we have to plant now or it will burn up next month.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
k0xxx have you tried hanging bars of soap from your trees to keep the deer away. A friend does this with his young apple trees and it works well. You can also buy a powdered form of coyote pee and sprinkle it around your orchard to keep the deer out.
Nope, we haven't tried the soap (although it's on our agenda now, thanks to you). We have tried several other things, including the coyote urine, bobcat urine, dog hair, human hair, and calling them bad names from our back porch. :rolleyes:

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about a couple of hunters in the fall?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Koxxx, your pear might not have produced any fruit if it didn't have a pollinator. Most pears need another variety that blooms at the same time to pollinate it, otherwise it won't set fruit.

Anyone here planted Asian Pear trees? I just set two in, and I'd really like to hear firsthand how they do. I dearly love Asian pears, but I refuse to buy them from the grocery store. They taste like wet cardboard. Since not many people seem to grow them, I haven't eaten them in far too long.

Oh, and has anyone here grown hazelnuts?