Trespassing?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
redblue_pill.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Unfortunately we are in no position to invest, we are barely hanging on with our teeth to our current property and filing for bankruptsy soon. :hide Luckily in this state we do not lose our property and we will indeed pay that loan. Our credit is shot from the foreclosure and this home was an owner-will-carry so we don't owe a bank, we owe a person we know. I had to stop working so poor Hubby is scrambling to make THIS mortgage and we have had to borrow from my elderly mother. Not a time for investments for us, rather, this would have been a time to sell and downsize as a logical choice if the property had been sellable, since my reduction in income will not only be permanent, but will be fixed.

The upside however is the property across the way WAS purchased by someone who is doing exactly as you described. It was an eyesore (it had been a crack house and someone clear cut the forest and left the stumps) and the whole place has been rennovated and turned back into a home, today I was noting they even put in flowering plants and such. We are actually quite pleased. But those folks are taking the gamble that you described, and it is benefiting us.

The other empty property was in much better shape and is still empty.

But I did not mean to hijack the trespassing thread with my issue of imminent domain, but we feel those BPA folks are "tresspassers" and almost every house on our road has a sign stating that they are not welcome to tresspass (even though we know they can legally).

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We bought our house from the In-laws, and my FIL always listened to what the religious people would say, be pleasant, take their handouts and then recycle them.

Well, then we bought the house and they retired.

So, this little lovely lady appears on my doorstep. Knock knock knock. I ignore it, as my toddler is being a little rambunctious. Plus, just because I am home and you knock on my door, doesn't mean I need to answer! Knock Knock Knock!!!! She continues for TEN MINUTES. She must have heard the toddler and just assumed if she was annoying enough I'd open the door. It worked. Finally I go down the stairs, angry, and rip open the door and give her the look of "What do you want?!?!" Now mind you, I don't know shes the lovely religious lady.

She takes one look at me and says "Oh, where is your dad?"

EXCUSE ME??!?! I know it's rare for a 24 year old to own their own home nowadays, but you come onto MY property, knock on MY door, then ask me where my FATHER is?! This is how it went:

Me: Uhm...my father doesn't live with me. He never has since I was 18.
Her: Oh...well who was the man that lived in this house?
Me: My FIL..who no longer owns this house. I own it.
Her: Oh, well. Ok. *Starts her speech*
Me: You know, I don't really have the time for this. Should I be interested, I know where the information is. I am surrounded by 3 churches. Thank you
Her: But, He can save you!
Me: And who says I need to be saved?! I'm not the one walking door to door intruding on peoples personal property and trying to tell them what to do. What would you think of me If I came to your door and told you the sky was green, despite what you thought was the truth?
Her: Silence
Me: Have a good day. *slam*

Needless to say, I haven't seen her back. I really try to be a nice person, but...I have the right to ignore you at my door. And don't question me when I finally open the door due to your annoying antics. SHEESH.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
FarmerChick said:
govt taking/buying property has to happen. it sucks sure for the person it is happening too, but sometimes it does help that person also.

but without their right to step in to do big projects like power lines or gas lines or roads, the country would be no where, cause people could stop and control all progress....which might good in some situatinons, very bad in others.

there is never a perfect solution for any big govt projects. some will be happy they are happening, others will not benefit from it.
I felt this way, too, until it happened to us and see how they are mishandling it. They have lowered our property value even more than it would have been already, and it happened for everyone who recieved the letter even thought they cannot possibly use all the possible routes, thousands of homes got "the letter". They already have extensive power lines and alternate routes, they do not have to hold all our houses in limbo for three years while they decide. After we recieved our letters, property values here dropped an additional 30 percent approx and two people on our road walked away from their mortgages after that as their homes were for sale. The one across the road from us went from being for sale for 165,000 to selling for 35,000 within six months of our "letters". We realize property values dropped all over, but we bought when things were down and this made it much worse, we are now upside down on our loan like so many other people, but we bought when things were LOW. Meanwhile, there is no reason why this line even has to go through our state, it could be on the Oregon side at this point where there are no homes already. They are trying to find out where there will be the least squaking and complaining, a few of the "rich homes" routes have already been dropped because of "landowner concerns" but us poor folks, as usual, are the ones screwed.
The latest we heard is that our property will not be chosen, which should be a relief, but it is still worth a fraction of what it would have been because we still officially would have to legally disclose the government intent to buy our land should we choose to sell.
Good thing we were not planning on moving.
Three years? I was notified in 1995, they evicted me in 2008 and the house still stands there empty and vandalized with no sign that they are actually going to put the road through. Of course I quit making any improvements (they actually froze building permits on the land selected) and they tried to devalue the house due to lack of repairs when they got around to buying it 13 years later. I couldn't get that thru my head since they were going to demolish it anyway. I asked if we could donate the useful parts to Habitat for Humanity and was told that if anything was removed its value would be subtracted from their payment to me. So I took pictures of everything, put screws through all the windows from the inside, locked all the doors and turned in the keys. Hired a lawyer to sue for for full market value under a contingent fee that was their downfall they failed to pay market value

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
ICU...it's the red pill, blue pill image from the matrix :D

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how many people drive right past the "no trespassing" sign in our driveway. Yes sales people and bible people it also applies to you! And as you round the turn and the 4 large dogs come running at you usually being lead by Lucky the pitbull you might have wished you heeded our request for privacy.

They never get out of the car for some reason?

Steve