Trying new foods.....maybe.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have ducks so THEY eat the bugs then I eat the ducks!!!

For those who haven't tried duck, the 2 I recently ate were really nom :D

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
unless total disaster of the planet and I have to eat grubs etc. to survive...I am not doing it until then.

game animals, sure will try those and have

eating insects, nasty guts, monkey brains, etc. NOPE I am not that adventerous and there is also too many delicious normal foods out there for me to enjoy :p---well the ones that 'seem' normal to me
x2

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've had the usual deer, antelope (sorta gamey), bison, elk, moose, duck, goose, rabbit, goat, etc.

On the processing barge in AK when I was 18, I had some Filipino food. My favorite was actually pork, cooked in pork fat and blood. Made a flavorful topping for rice (everything they ate seemed to be a topping for rice!). Had no desire to try oxtail stew, fish head soup, tripe, etc. And just COULD not do squid - they'd cut it in rings, and the last ring would have the tentacles still on it. The guys would fork it up and as they lifted it to their mouths, those legs would just wiggle and dance around. Could not stand the thought of eating something that looked like it would crawl back up on its own! I've had breaded Calamari since (without the legs), and it is just too much like fishy flavored deep fried rubber bands.

I don't think I could do bugs. Not unless I was REALLY desperate. I do salvage the livers from the animals we butcher, as long as they are ones I can digest (the rest of the family won't touch them). Problem there is I can't digest them from every animal we raise - same reason I don't salvage the hearts, I can't digest the protein in them.

I'd try coon, oppossum, armadillo, etc, if I get the chance. Looking forward to trying wild hog.

I don't really see much of a need to use every bit of the animal, because for the most part, what we don't eat, one of the animals on the farm will eat, so it does not go to waste - rather, it is just repurposed in a way that lets us enjoy the end product better.

My husband and son have had mealy worms. Not for me, thanks!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know what I've never had? Lamb. I saw a recipe for it yesterday and it looked so good, but I have never even seen it in the grocery stores. Where do people get it?

As for weird things, I've had alligator.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're pretty adventurous eaters. But I do have to remove the chicken feet from the stewpot before DH finds it and gets grossed out. :gig

One of our favorite meals is liver. Especially moose liver. I rarely buy meat. We mostly live off of what the great state of Alaska provides for us, or what we raise ourselves. The only exception is the very occasional bacon (bacon is a rare treat here since we avoid pork) and also very occasional lunch meat.

We eat the eggs, and heart from the salmon. The liver and meat from the moose. Chicken hearts, meat, eggs, and I throw the feet into stocks and stews since they are very nutritious.

I've had Ptarmigan (delicious so long as it hasn't been eating spruce!) and grouse, quail, duck (super yummo!) and pheasant. For larger animals I have had yak, (yuck!) buffalo, moose, reindeer (caribou), and I have a bear roast in my freezer that I haven't been brave enough to try yet. I have been told I have had snake, but I don't recall that.

I make my own sushi.

I do NOT eat eyeballs, or other "uneatables". I don't have a super sensitive stomach, but I don't think I could stomach eyeballs. Reading the ingredients for authentic Chorizo the other day grossed me out too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
You know what I've never had? Lamb. I saw a recipe for it yesterday and it looked so good, but I have never even seen it in the grocery stores. Where do people get it?

As for weird things, I've had alligator.
We get our lamb from a local butcher. We usually have Leg of Lamb and lamb chops on the grill a couple times a year.

As for alligator, I had never thought of it as weird - just tasty. :D

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Salmon cheeks are REALLY good. Like little salmon flavored scallops. You really have to be doing fish in bulk to make it worth digging them out though.

I had mutton once, and did not care for it. Looking back, it may have been how it was handled. Have had lamb several times, and really like it.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been a chef for years and tomorrow I turn into a chef instructor.
I will eat anything I can catch and cram into my pie hole.
Dirk durian fruit rocks!!
Brian

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Shark is tasty. So is gator if prepared correctly...otherwise it is like chewing on a rubber welcome mat :p

Latest posts