Trying new foods.....maybe.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Asking everyone here, what new foods would you be willing to try?

Reasons are: 1.) It seems that (most) Americans are about not eating everything in sight (insects, spiders, scorpions, eels, snails, brains, glands, testicles, kidneys, inards.......including chicken feet, other animals, ect......either eaten raw, cooked, stored, or however fixed, until ready for consumption), and, 2.) Not being willing to totally use every resource around us, that is able to be used, for keeping real poverty away from the family doorstep. I do understand about anything you put into your system has to be free of the nasty bacterias or parasites.

My favorite food show IS with Andrew Zimmerman - Bizarre Foods.
What's strange to us is normal for most of the world and vice versa.

I know I used to love baloney/hotdogs/marshmallows - (jello I still love) when I was a child - not since I learned this bit of wisdom: If you don't know what you are about to eat/drink, don't eat/drink it.

As we get closer to moving out of this place, to the country, I am trying to find every possible way to be self-sufficient, and trying to extend our resources beyond our normal way of thinking, just to cut expenses, as my DFiance' doesn't want me to go back to work for as long as I am able to.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive had elk, deer, antelope, and bear. Although I dont remember the taste of the last two, I was young. I know this is a common meat for alot people. But I have meet a few people who were amazed that I would eat Bambi.

I have eatten kangaroo jerky once.

Had squirel jerkey and stew..

------------------------

What I would really like to try is rabbit and quail. Havent had the chance yet.. I have also never eatten goose or duck yet.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have tried to keep an open mind when it comes to trying most things. I'm game to try quite a bit as long as it isn't too far over on my gross-o-meter, like things that are still alive, worms, maggots, and grubs, or anything that might be called "slimy, but satisfying". :D

I have eaten most of the "normal" North American wild game mammals, such as elk, bison, deer, rabbit, and squirrel. I have also had some of the "not so normal" mammals such as raccoon, opossum, groundhog, and nutria. I have not yet had the chance to try antelope or moose.

In the "non-mammal" category, I've had three different types of snake, bull frogs, and two types of turtle. I've even tried honey roasted locust. I've also had quite a few different types of wild birds, although I won't go into them all, for ahem... legal reasons. But it's safe to say that I have had a variety of ducks, quail, partridge, coots, pheasant, turkey, goose, doves, and even crow.

I'm not too fond of most uncooked items, but I do love raw oysters. I've tried a lot of innards (beef tongue, heart, liver, chitterlings, and tripe), but I generally don't care for them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Eating things I raised myself is new...sorta, as we raised our meat when I was a teen. But making the decision about it myself is a new thing, and most people don't even want to hear about it, even if they are not eating with me. I've had people actually put their hands over their ears! Just at the mention that we raised our own pork and chicken!

Next hurdle for me will be participating in the actual processing.....I'm getting closer by watching part of the process. It wasn't as disturbing to me last year. I should be ready in about another decade or so. :p

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I forgot.

Ive eatten chocolate covered ants..

When I was in grade school. We had to pick a country and make a meal along with dessert that that country ate often. I cant remember what country it was. But one kid brought in chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers. They were not home made. They were store bought that way.

Edited to add. Ive also ate Bison twice. As steak. That was a different taste from beef, but it was good. And as hamburger, which we made spaghetti out of. That was the best tasting spaghetti I have ever tasted..

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Things i haven't tried but would...worms(protein), but I wouldn't eat a roach :sick I'd eat grasshoppers and crickets, ant, and wild foraged plants and herbs. I'd eat elk antelope bear etc. that I have never tried. I'd eat chicken feet if that was all that was left of the chicken to eat too, and frog legs, squab, quail, and duck. I love chicken liver, but I won't try beef liver...it's so BIG and kind of daunting :p I've had squirrel, rabbit, coon, turtle, shark, gator, fish head soup...which is REALLY delicious actually :drool etc. etc. so most of that stuff is not toooo far of a stretch other than the insects. Heck I'd eat dirt if I was hungry enough :idunno We all would, I think. Knowing what is edible and what isn't is the key to survival, because when it comes right down to it, hunger pains, aren't called pains for nothing...it really is miserable, I've been there. Can't sleep, think, or function when the body is shutting down from lack of fuel. It truly sucks and you'll eat about anything when you get to that point. Gross factor/gag reflex, whatever you want to call it suddenly disappears and everything looks tasty :drool :lol:

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like Andrew Zimmerman. Sometimes he does eat things that would make me vomit, like durian fruit. I particularly wouldn't eat black pudding / blood sausage. Casu marzu (maggot cheese) is definitely out.

Haggis isn't bad if you like oatmeal. Rattle snake is down right tasty. Worms taste a little gritty. I've eaten may bugs when I would ride without a face shield.

There isn't much I wouldn't eat regarding 4 legged animals or birds.

If you hunt and fish your entire permissible limit it sure takes a load off the grocery bill. That's what my grandparents did every year. My State sells a Special Fishing Device License so you can use fish traps to catch "non-game rough fish", catfish and crayfish. If you live in an area where the Smelt run they sure are good eats. Like little freshwater anchovies caught with a hand net.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Other than animals we have. I have had some deer, bison, catfish, bluegille, croppi, frog legs, and turkey. I want to try bear.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a pretty adventurous eater and will try anything once (as long as it's already dead!). Rattlesnake is very good and I've eaten it several times, but I admit I got grossed out the one time I cooked it myself and wouldn't eat it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unless total disaster of the planet and I have to eat grubs etc. to survive...I am not doing it until then.

game animals, sure will try those and have

eating insects, nasty guts, monkey brains, etc. NOPE I am not that adventerous and there is also too many delicious normal foods out there for me to enjoy :p---well the ones that 'seem' normal to me