trying to find cheap whole wheat flour

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was goign to make my own bread to save money but I want to do a little better than white bread for health reasons.

I can get 25 lbs of all purpose flour at samsclub for 7.00

Is it possible to find a deal like this on wheat flour?

If not, maybe I can put just a little wheat flour in the bread recipe.

I dotn think store bought bread is 100% whole wheat anyway (even when it says it is)..is it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Usually not. It has many additives in it that gives it a light and spongy texture. Real whole wheat bread is a little heavier, a little more dense. Tastes different.

mulewagon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I buy whole wheat in bulk from a local natural grocery - it's much cheaper than having it shipped. Then I grind it as needed with an electric grinder.

You can also buy whole wheat flour at grocery stores, under brand names like King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill. Be sure to freeze it, as the oils deteriorate.

It's not nearly as cheap as getting white flour from Sam's, but then white flour keeps well because a lot of the nutrition has been removed. That's always the difficulty with real food - except for eggs and nuts, it won't keep long, so it's more expensive.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd try to find a wheat farmer. Where are you? Around here it's rare to find hard wheat (bread flour) being grown, but there's plenty of soft wheat (pastry flour). We get hard wheat from DH's cousin, grow our own soft wheat and have a grinder to deal with both. Good luck!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I'd try to find a wheat farmer. Where are you? Around here it's rare to find hard wheat (bread flour) being grown, but there's plenty of soft wheat (pastry flour). We get hard wheat from DH's cousin, grow our own soft wheat and have a grinder to deal with both. Good luck!
I've been trying to find a farmer, but I've had trouble because I'm in MN, and there's not a lot of wheat farmers in the area. Any tips on finding a farmer?

FYI, the AP flour in the USA is quite hard. I suspect that even soft wheat can make fairly good bread. Haven't tried it yet, but I'd junp at the chance. And I would definately try it before buying 200 lb of the stuff.

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make your own flour? I don't know your current set-up at home, but if you can grow wheat, you sure can make your own as its not hard at all. I make acorn and wheat, hence I grow the wheat in a 20' by 20' space in my garden and that tends to give me a good supply of wheat for the winter months.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Tatter said:
Would it be possible to make your own flour? I don't know your current set-up at home, but if you can grow wheat, you sure can make your own as its not hard at all. I make acorn and wheat, hence I grow the wheat in a 20' by 20' space in my garden and that tends to give me a good supply of wheat for the winter months.
Not sure about your walmart store but they sell both hard wheat and soft wheat urn 25 pound bags. I have 300 pounds oh wheat and grind it. You can get wheat shipped through wheat Montana, non Gmo organic! I live here so it's at walmart .

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Doozerdoo1 said:
Tatter said:
Not sure about your walmart store but they sell both hard wheat and soft wheat urn 25 pound bags. I have 300 pounds oh wheat and grind it. You can get wheat shipped through wheat Montana, non Gmo organic! I live here so it's at walmart .
I do everything the hard way as I live near and work with the Amish, so their ways sort of rub off on me :) The walmarts here don't do the wheat thing, so for me its easier to just grow and grind than to buy and with shipping costs through the roof (WI sales tax), for some folks its best to do it the hard way :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We buy organic wheat (and other grains) and grind it ourselves in a home grain mill. We have made 100% whole wheat bread, but it's fairly crumbly unless you add a couple of eggs to the recipe--and even then it's not perfect. We generally make our bread with 2 parts home ground whole wheat and 2 part organic unbleached white flour.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If there is a Mormon cannery nearby, they will often sell wheat to you if you "can" it in #10 cans yourself. I do that, then grind as I need it. Whole wheat lasts forever, but the flour doesn't!