trying to find cheap whole wheat flour

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
On a side note:

How do I grind my own flour? I'm not ready to buy an electric grain mill (they are pretty spendy). And I keep thinking of Laura Ingalls and family grinding their wheat in that little coffee grinder...
So, I happen to have an old 'clamp it to the counter" coffee grinder. Would that work? At least to try it out, and see if it works well enough? Anyone every try it?

One more question..
Anyone in Ontario, Canada know where I could get some whole wheat to grind?

Thanks!

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A coffee grinder may work. I bought my grinder at lehmans.com specially for grain. The best way to figure out if something works is to do the ole trial and error method. Try the coffee grinder, if it works, all is good. If not, you know you'll need to purchase a grain mill.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Google is great, so I'd Google "hard wheat MN" or something like that. It's usually the more western states that grow the hard wheat, but you're closer to them than I, so perhaps shipping wouldn't be outrageous.

I add 1 T of vital wheat gluten to all my whole-wheat recipes to give it more structure. I never, ever mix in white flour and our bread is awesome! You really do need hard wheat and not soft, though. Soft doesn't have enough gluten for a yeast bread.

If you want soft wheat bread (pastry flour), I'd suggest Irish soda bread. Here's a rough recipe:
3 cups plain yogurt
1 cup grains (I use oats, quinoa, cooked brown rice, chia seeds, or combinations of all)

Soak overnight.

In the morning, add 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt and 4 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour. Stir into a wet dough. Grease a large cookie sheet and plop dough into 3 uniformly sized round loaves on the sheet. Bake at 425 for 10 min, then 350 for 35 min. It will be crusty on the outside, soft on the inside. I adore this bread fresh or toasted!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sweetproserpina said:
On a side note:

How do I grind my own flour? I'm not ready to buy an electric grain mill (they are pretty spendy). And I keep thinking of Laura Ingalls and family grinding their wheat in that little coffee grinder...
So, I happen to have an old 'clamp it to the counter" coffee grinder. Would that work? At least to try it out, and see if it works well enough? Anyone every try it?

One more question..

Thanks!
I bought a Victorio grain mill. It was only $60 and we use it quite a bit. I make hubby a loaf of sour dough bread and a loaf of bread for me and the kids weekly. We also make pizzas every friday so we go through quite a bit of flour. I spent a lot of time grinding until my girls offered to grind the wheat for a fee. $.25 a cup. Now when they want something they go grind wheat and earn the money. They wont do the dishes for an allowance but they will grind..... I don't understand a kids mind sometimes.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
.. I don't understand a kids mind sometimes.
That's because while you are pregnant they consume some of your brain cells. After they are born you no longer have the capacity to understand kid things anymore. It's what makes us into mothers.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Justme said:
terri9630 said:
.. I don't understand a kids mind sometimes.
That's because while you are pregnant they consume some of your brain cells. After they are born you no longer have the capacity to understand kid things anymore. It's what makes us into mothers.
:lol:
:yuckyuck

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sweetproserpina said:
On a side note:

One more question..

Thanks!
Check out the health food stores in the area. Ours has whole hard and soft wheat in bulk. You could probably order a 25 or 50 pound bag from them.
But just buy a little at first, to experiment.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most natural Foods stores here in Alberta carry wheat, we get ours from a local producer but you can also get it from a place like Briden (in Cochrane AB) or In Case Of (in Lethbridge AB).

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also, just wanted to remind you not to buy or grind more whole wheat flour than you can use in a week or two. Unless you can store it in the freezer, because it will quickly go rancid. If you find you don't like the taste of whole wheat bread, try some sprouted flour. Very mild taste, and since it is sprouted, I have been told your body utilizes it like it is a vegetable, instead of a grain. Easy on the digestion. And who wouldn't want to count a big slice of buttered bread as one of their quota of vegetables for the day?!:D