TSHTF Bread

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dutch oven cooking lends itself to bread well. I have experimented and had success with breads and cakes. I used recipes from a Boyscout cookout cookbook. It's just a matter of adjusting your coals to avoid hotspots. I have 3 bags of charcoal stored in a lidded bucket and that would make enough bread for a short term emergency situation if needed. I also think a rocket stove with a cardboard oven could be an option with some experimentation.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could try frying the dough. Just take a good pinch of regular bread dough, roll out flat, cut a couple slits in center, fry in a little butter or oil (not too much-just to coat pan) with lid on to keep in heat on medium low until well browned on both sides.

I make this occaisionally on the regular stove but could easily work with other methods. We love fry bread (so does the neighbors, garage sale customers, etc...just ask me how I know :th ) & smear on butter, peanut butter, jam or honey. :drool

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We made bread once with the BBQ grill. It was a royal pain in the rump trying to keep the temperature constant, as we kept having to adjust the flame up or down. We placed the bread on one end, heated with the burners on the other end, and used a portable, electronic thermometer (that I usually used with the smoker) to monitor the temperature. The bread came out fine, though.

Also, I know it's not what you're asking about, but it isn't the "normal" type oven. When our oven was giving us problems, we baked bread in our big electric roaster.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If TSHTF during winter, a solar oven wouldn't get you very far! ;)

I just got a dutch oven this year and I'd really like to learn to cook with it over a campfire (other than just beans or soup.) I hear they are very versatile. I used to watch a neat show on RFDTV (back when I had TV), Campfire Cooking with Johnny somebody...

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm thinking solar is the way to go - if you can figure out a good way to do it - since sunlight is "free" & in plentiful supply (depending on where you live, of course!). The next-best alternative would be wood-burning, either on a campfire or rocket stove, since wood is sorta free (if you have a wooded lot or some other access to wood). The obvious downside would be temperature regulation.

Eventually your propane, kerosene, charcoal, etc. will run out (I guess even your wood would, too), so there needs to be a way to do solar...so if anyone has experimented with that, please share! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sandwich loaves are a fairly recent invention. In rugged conditions, I doubt it is possible to make a lofty loaf of sandwich bread as we know it. Smaller breads are more realistic, and you can make a great sandwich on a flat roll or a biscuit or a tortilla.

Sundancers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a wood burning cook stove. Works great for winter cooking/heating and even TSHTF Bread.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
journey11 said:
If TSHTF during winter, a solar oven wouldn't get you very far! ;)
Actually, with solar it doesn't matter if it is winter or not, as all you need is the sun and clear skies. A solar will still cook your food regardless of the outside temperature, at least in latitudes that would include the continental US.

Here's a video by a lady in Michigan cooking with a solar oven, as the oven sits in the late December snow. BTW, she has a lot of great SS related videos.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Johnny Nix? :rolleyes:

I LOVE that link, Bethanial! I would love to make a cob oven sometime!