TSHTF Bread

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an Earth Oven that I built in the back yard (like the ones featured in Mother Earth news) and I bought the How to build an earth oven by Kiko Denzer.(well worth the 15 bucks I gotta add)
And while we only use it a few times in the summer and mainly for pizza and pita bread I have made a few loaves of bread in there and it does take a bit of "tweaking" to not burn the loaves. If TSHTF at least till I run out of yeast and catch a wild yeast for sour dough I can make a few loaves a week.
But we spent the summer eating tortillas by the ton as I know how to make flour and corn ones and just got a new stove with the griddle in the middle on the top. but I also have a nice cast iron griddle that we use outside while camping--while I might miss real bread after a while, my family could live on stuff crammed into tortillas!;):D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Smaller breads are more realistic, and you can make a great sandwich on a flat roll or a biscuit or a tortilla.
That's a good point; like the "hard rolls" that are popular where I lived in NY (it was a sandwich option). I thought about biscuits too...I seem to remember reading a thread here about making biscuits in a cast iron dutch oven.... :drool

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
journey11 said:
If TSHTF during winter, a solar oven wouldn't get you very far! ;)
Actually, with solar it doesn't matter if it is winter or not, as all you need is the sun and clear skies. A solar will still cook your food regardless of the outside temperature, at least in latitudes that would include the continental US.

Here's a video by a lady in Michigan cooking with a solar oven, as the oven sits in the late December snow. BTW, she has a lot of great SS related videos.
Had to see it to believe it. :cool: So a few clouds are ok... What about wind? I get full sun exposure where I'm on top of this ridge, but I also get the WIND, regularly 30+ mph in winter here. Would that sabotage it?

I like that lady's channel, I think I'll subscribe. She has a long list of interesting videos. Seemed very well put together too.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I would think that wind could be a factor, especially if the oven has the mirror reflectors (like the one in the video, as these would probably catch a lot of wind. However, it may be ok if it were solidly built or if you could provide some protection like a structure to deflect the wind.

I am seriously looking into a solar oven. A friend has one of the type in the video, that he has never used, and I am still trying to work out a trade with him.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you have a glass top and solid sides, wind wont be an issue.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
But we spent the summer eating tortillas by the ton as I know how to make flour and corn ones and just got a new stove with the griddle in the middle on the top. but I also have a nice cast iron griddle that we use outside while camping--while I might miss real bread after a while, my family could live on stuff crammed into tortillas!;):D
I would love to see your recipe/directions for making tortillas in a "primitive" setting (non-electric/gas oven)...:D

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
I want to do this: http://small-scale.net/yearofmud/20...0-outdoor-cob-oven-for-great-bread-and-pizza/

He's got more info on cob ovens on his blog, too - if you'll look over on the right hand side there's a gizmo with tags, and one of them is "cob oven." Click on that for all of Ziggy's posts talking about it; this one is the most informative, though.
I love Ziggy's house. I followed the building of it on his blog and he was my first real inspiration on cob building.

This thread has inspired me. I have a huge pile of urbancrete that I am taking home a bit at a time. The thought crossed my mind that you could combine a rocket stove with a cob oven & end up with a super insulated, super heating, clean burning oven. Been doing research all afternoon.

I haven't been able to find exact plans for one, although the Path to Freedom folks have an external picture of theirs.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes I want to build a bale-cob house - one of these days! That's how I found Ziggy's blog, in doing my research. The cob oven will be one of my first experiments, and once I get it done, I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts