Turkey Advice and Info please???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I went to the feed store to pick up my new chickens today and they were all gone. I guess they are selling like hotcakes around here. Economy based reasons I am sure. Anyways they do so however have a couped dozen Bourbon Red poults in and ready to go.
These are my basic newbie questions. I would go get a book but these birds are going to go quick so I figured I would ask here.

How long does it take to feed out a turkey for the freezer?

Ho many sq ft do you need to house a turkey? I currently have an unused coop with attached run they would live in. Not sure if it's big enough or how many would fit.

Do turkeys require much the same in housing as chickens? Do they roost? Can you free range a turkey safely? I mean for me that is, I would not ant a 20 lb tom chasing me down the hill.

Oh, whats the going cost of a turkey poult?

Ok I am sure I have more ???? But that's it for now. Please give me any advice you might have. I am going to go run a search as well. Thanks gina

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Heritage breed turkeys like Bourbon reds take 24-26 weeks to get to processing weight. The broadbreasted varieties take about 16 to 18 weeks. Can't find my poultry book right now so I don't remember what the number is for square footage on housing.
Expect to pay 8-9 bucks for a baby turkey.
Yes, they like to roost and they love to free range but they can fly and they do make a good lunch for predators so you need to take that into account.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I found a great article on turkeys on line. I have been reading like a mad woman. I just called the feed store and they said the turkeys are straight run. so here's my next ??? If I buy 4 with the hopes that I can butcher two for the Holiday's and maybe get lucky and keep a tom and jenny? What's the chances of that working out? If I end up with more than one tom do they establish a pecking order? Will tom # 2 be ok until Turkey Day?

I really think this turkey thing would be great but, I want to be sure I can keep a couple to breed. Can I let nature take its course and let the hen set the eggs? Like my chickens? So many question so little time....:barnie

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, the Toms will work it out between themselves generally without too much bloodshed but you probably won't have to worry about it anyway as they don't generally get to breeding age until just before it's time to process. Heritage breeds will indeed breed by themselves. Good luck!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is a thread on byc called "give me the dirt on turkeys" with lots of info and a couple of fights thrown in, as per usual!!! It has a lot of good stuff on the heritage breeds, too.

In a taste test, the two winners were Midget White and Bourbon Red. The Broadbreasted whatever came in dead last.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. I did go over to byc but there was like 10 pages of info. I am still undecided. I am really just starting to get moving on my egg sales so more hens may be my best move right now. Maybe save turkeys for next spring. More time to prepare and read up.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I would say get them!! Even if you just get 4 then you will have experience with them then you can decided if you want to do more next year of none at all! We have raised turkeys before...20 broad breasted bronze. I have bourbon red eggs in the 'bator right now! I am hoping for at least a breeding pair. I just mixed my turkeys in with my chickens.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UUggg my husband said the same thing. I sold 8 dozen chicken eggs today. That was just by word of mouth. I told my dh if i put the turkeys in my smaller coop then where would the new laying hens go??? Hint hint another coop??? I normally put the pullets in my small coop then when they get bigger sneak them into the larger main coop /run. I would have to change things up a bit.

:he:weee I am so conflicted...

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
*Chanting* Get them! Get them! Get them!! Get them!!
LOL!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pam, Your such a bad influence!!! what type of housing did you have for your turkeys? Did they always live w/your chickens. I read some scary stuff about the two types of birds giving each other diseases. I do have the second coop. I'm afraid the hole in the coop wall with the little ramp would have to be made bigger for a big old turkey. And what about their eggs? Can they set a clutch like a chicken??? then there is the whole butchering part. Since I have never even plucked a chicken not sure if I would have anyone to help. I guess I would have to find somebody. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Hows that cute little girl of yours doing??? :) and all her siblings as well??