Turkey Advice and Info please???

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go to sandspoultry.com and see the pictures of chickens and turkeys living in harmony. I wrote and asked him and he said to contact your local ag dept. If blackhead disease is not already and existing problem in your area then go ahead and mix those poultry! If it is in your soil, then you have to use all the precautions.

Someone else told me to put the young poults up off the soil by putting a thick, like 4 inch, layer of hay or straw on the ground so they cannot get to the soil until they are a few weeks old.

Get them!!! Get them!!! Get them!!!!!

A few people told me to keep them confined for a month or so, longer in winter, until it is very confirmed that you are the source of all things wonderful (food) so they won't fly away and join a wild flock, or go to the next state in search of food. And clipping the wings won't keep them in like most chickens. Their legs are powerful and they can clear a 4-6 foot fence like it is not even there.

Mine are in a covered pen in the barn until spring brings lovely munchy bugs in my pasture, then I will take the fencing off the top and hope for the best!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Tankshill--did you decide yet? My husband has picked out (just on the order sheet so far) 5 bronze and 5 blue slate, until he saw a picture of the blue slate. I LOVE the looks of the royal palms, but they are supposed by have a big Y bone in the chest and therefore not much breast meat.

Farmerlor--What have been your favorites for all factors considered? My main concerns are feed efficiency, foraging ability, reproductive ability and cold hardiness (zone 4 here). Thanks!

Freemotion--Your flock is new, right? So far, how has your flock been doing? Staying alive? Was it turkeys that I once heard to referred as the bird that sat around thinking up ways to die? :) Just would like to hear from a newbie how it's going :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have decided to stick with more laying hens this year. I am working on egg sales. I figure this way I can build a nice new home for the turkeys. Little steps. Next year will be the year of the turkey!!:D

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Tankshill--did you decide yet? My husband has picked out (just on the order sheet so far) 5 bronze and 5 blue slate, until he saw a picture of the blue slate. I LOVE the looks of the royal palms, but they are supposed by have a big Y bone in the chest and therefore not much breast meat.

Farmerlor--What have been your favorites for all factors considered? My main concerns are feed efficiency, foraging ability, reproductive ability and cold hardiness (zone 4 here). Thanks!

Freemotion--Your flock is new, right? So far, how has your flock been doing? Staying alive? Was it turkeys that I once heard to referred as the bird that sat around thinking up ways to die? :) Just would like to hear from a newbie how it's going :)
I'm in zone five. I loved my Bronzes. They were big, big birds and so much fun but I wanted to work with some that were a little smaller, and something that was endangered so I went with Beltsvilles and Midgets. I have some lavenders and Palms coming just to play with but they'll probably end up for sale. I know I'll end up with some more Bronzes before this venture is over just because I like them so much.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I really like the idea of preserving endangered species, too, whether through heirloom seeds or heirloom breeds. Can I ask where you order yours? Our local farm store has 7 breeds to choose from, but neither of those that you mention (Beltsville and midgets).

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I really like the idea of preserving endangered species, too, whether through heirloom seeds or heirloom breeds. Can I ask where you order yours? Our local farm store has 7 breeds to choose from, but neither of those that you mention (Beltsville and midgets).
I got my hatching eggs from good ol' Steve at SandS poultry over on BYC. My lavs and Belts came from Pam who's also on BYC and the Heritage turkey group on yahoo. Since I'm planning on breeding, preserving and hopefully improving the breed I wanted to go with good breeder stock and not hatchery stock. These bloodlines are well documented so my birds will be valuable and worthy of showing and breeding....as well as eating....LOL!