Turkey topic, questions welcome

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I have your link bookmarked!

If I had access to feed store birds as opposed to mail order would that be a better choice usually? I've had good luck with this particular feed store with chickens and ducks. Last year they had turkeys too. Perhaps that would be better than mail order?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you so much!! Unfortunately my current turkey pen/run is down hill the other direction from where I want to move them. I am considering moving their current house up to the orchard but that's gonna be tough.

I don't think they would be able to find the original pen if they were moved.

Well I guess it does not hurt to try.

Thanks again,

gina

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Thank you very much, I have your link bookmarked!

If I had access to feed store birds as opposed to mail order would that be a better choice usually? I've had good luck with this particular feed store with chickens and ducks. Last year they had turkeys too. Perhaps that would be better than mail order?
If you get them from a feed store get the most active ones and ones that are eating and drinking. Poults under stress can starve out. They will stop eating and die right in front of a full feeder. I always raise them with chicks for the first couple weeks, the chicks tend to be more active and the poults follow them around to the feed and water.

One of the biggest rules for poults is

A cold and wet poult equals a dead poult very quickly

Steve