Turkeys about breeding time

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I swear that one on the left is saying "You want an egg?!? Look at that, there is SNOW on the ground still! Wait until it warms up, then we can talk about eggs!"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When my hens start laying, I'll send you some eggs to hatch. They both laid big clutches last year i think between the two hens, I had almost 50 eggs. Both times at the end of winter and late spring.

I like this breed and would really like it if you would raise them and eat some (for the sake of the Bourbon Red breed). I honestly can say the Tom's bake into the best Thanksgiving turkey we've ever eat. They are delicious and the soup we make with the leftovers is also delicious.

Don't worry about the $, I'll hook you up.

You are a mighty fine man. It is very kind of you to send hatching eggs to @Chic Rustler and help him out like that.

Your turkeys are beautiful birds!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are a mighty fine man. It is very kind of you to send hatching eggs to @Chic Rustler and help him out like that.

Your turkeys are beautiful birds!

Still no eggs yet though :( I've been in the same exact place as ChicRustler - it's crazy what they are asking for day old turkeys and there is usally a qty of 15 min... Who needs 15 turkeys? I couldn't justify the price to get started.
Screenshot_2018-02-14-22-48-51.png

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkeys are expensive to raise, don't lay that many eggs (compared to chickens), have a comparably low hatch rate, and aren't that tough as poults. I don't think the prices are that astronomical for what they are. They have minimum orders so they stay warm during shipping. It is expensive, but it's an investment. No one would breed turkeys to sell if they were losing money.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine aren't laying either. They are feisty though, the hens were yelling about something all day.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chocolates. No, I'm having picture issues. Getting a new phone soon though so I'll have turkey pics to upload... And goat pics... And chicken pics... Lol

Latest posts