Turkeys about breeding time

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkeys sure are weird... No eggs today but two yesterday. I'm starting to understand they lay a egg about every day and a half or so. They take their sweet time laying a clutch that's for sure.

The only reason I'm gathering up their eggs when they lay them is because it's still cold outside and temperature dips below freezing at night. The turkey hens roost on a thick branch I set up in the their yard. They leave their eggs laying where they laid them and I know they would freeze.

Turkey hens don't start sitting on their eggs until they are done laying their clutches. Which what I seen is anywhere for 20 to 30 eggs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens really are the ultimate small farm animal. They are easy to raise, easy to house, give eggs and meat and will even raise their own replacements. What's not to love about a chicken?

I think it's great they way you two are scheduling the turkey eggs and working this out. Wonderful of you to share @CrealCritter :clap

Thanks Bay that means a lot and a great way to further the breed. I know CR will really enjoy a home raised burbon red turkey on the Thanksgiving table. There is really no comparison to store bought broad breasted (Butterball).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkey egg update.. only1 egg today - so that makes a total of 6 so far...

Pic of turkey egg sitting chicken hen in action. Good thing she went broody, she is the most gentle hen i have. But unfortantly she's at the bottom of the pecking order. Hopefully she'll grow some back feathers being isolated from the rest of the flock over the time of the brood.
IMG_20180314_172651592.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
2 more turkey eggs today - that's 9 eggs total now - including the 1 chicken egg she layed today. I think that's about all my chicken hen can handle and I think the weather "might" coordinate. I hope we aren't looking at another freeze. So I'll leave the turkey hens to do their natural born thing and finish out laying their clutches now so they will start sitting.

IMG_20180315_221849846.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not a single turkey egg hatched and.my hen eat all 9 turkey eggs :( my two turkey hens are still laying clutches but have not started sitting on them yet.

Chic Rustler I haven't forgotten about sending you some turkey eggs to hatch. But it may be another week or two until my turkey hens start sitting. Once they get on their clutches I will send you some turkey eggs to hatch. This "spring" has been a strange one here in the heartland. We got snow Saturday night (not much) but snow never the less... Winter just won't give up the ghost but eventually (hopefully soon) it will go away.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bad hen! Cannibals, chickens will eat anything.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why I hate chickens! Sorry, that's a bummer. Hope your turkeys do a better job!

Mine are finally laying. Collecting eggs to put in the incubator when the chicken eggs are done.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not a single turkey egg hatched and.my hen eat all 9 turkey eggs :( my two turkey hens are still laying clutches but have not started sitting on them yet.

Chic Rustler I haven't forgotten about sending you some turkey eggs to hatch. But it may be another week or two until my turkey hens start sitting. Once they get on their clutches I will send you some turkey eggs to hatch. This "spring" has been a strange one here in the heartland. We got snow Saturday night (not much) but snow never the less... Winter just won't give up the ghost but eventually (hopefully soon) it will go away.

No rush brother.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Both hens started sitting Saturday. I just got done candling every egg. I don't see any activity what so ever. I'm going to put the eggs back and check again Sunday. But with the wacky weather we had I would not be surprised at all if the eggs got to cold and froze before the hens decided to sit.

If I don't see any activity when I candle them again Sunday. Then I'm not going to put them back with the hopes that it will cause the hens to go into lay again. Last year they laid two clutches one late winter early spring and the second late spring early summer. It was the second clutches that hatched out baby turkey chicks.

Last edited: