Turkeys & Tomatoes

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like it when things just come together all of a sudden.

This week I introduced my 4 turkey hens to each other with one Tom and they are super content. I previously had two sets of 2 hens and a tom together, separated by fencing. My turkeys are just coming out of molt and I know that means breeding is about to begin. So one tom and 4 hens should be OK. I need to get them hayed in before they start laying. A project for another day.

The one lone mean tom doesn't like the new arrangements but that's OK because he's going in the deep freezer soon enough.
IMG_20190821_194103.jpg

Despite the unusual wet spring and early summer we've had here in southern IL, my tomatoes finally took off like a rocket and are approaching 8 foot tall now. They are covered in blossoms and we actually have fresh ripe tomatoes to eat. I am utterly amazed they didn't drown but I kept working them anyways when I could get in the mud hole that I call a garden.

When everyone else threw in the towel around here, I kept at it and it looks like my hard work is going to pay off with a nice harvest. I can hear my dad teaching me life lessons when I was a young stupid kid. He would say "don't ever give up, even if you fail. Change it up a bit and try again, at least you'll know you did all you could do". My dad is a smart man, it's only taken me all these years to realize it.
IMG_20190821_193558216.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Turkeys and tomatoes are looking good! Your father is a wise man, I agree..