Turkeys?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anybody ever raise turkeys, slaughter and eat what you raised? What breed/s? Thinking about ordering a few to try, in the spring. Any recommendations?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In TX you probably wouldn't have the freeze issue :lol:

Many, many years ago I raised 2 toms. They butchered at over 25# each. No problem to handle or contain but, I swore I'd never seen anything eat so much. Don't know breed but they were dark....not a bourbon.

I've often thought I'd like a pair who would breed & hatch but with just me..don't need them. I can buy a couple ready to cook for less than the feed. May change my mind one day. :idunno

I do remember they were difficult for me to butcher because they kept looking up at me. I actually made a cover for their head with something there to get it done. Way bigger eye than a chicken!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a note for you all to chew on..... Not that I am "promoting" the broad breasted ones.... but when they raise them in the commercial houses, they are designated to be picked up at different sizes. They will have a good amount of meat on them when they are only 15-20 lbs live weight because they are designed to grow and gain. Like the cornish x broilers. Several of the dairies I test for have poultry houses. Most are turkeys. They will ship them as "light toms, medium or HEAVY toms" ; same as the hens. They do good out on pasture with feed just like the cornish cross broilers. If you are looking for faster growth, it night be to your benefit to try the broad breasted poults. The toms cannot breed naturally, but the hens can be bred by a non-broad breasted male and produce fertile eggs. They do not do well setting though due to their size and weight. But to just raise some for Thanksgiving, you might prefer the results with them.

I like the ones that can reproduce without artificial means...I've had Royal Palms, Bourbon Reds, and a crossed up bunch that were eggs from a friend that had some wild turkey hens that started staying with their turkeys... so they had heinz 57's..... I have also gotten broad breasted poults and they have done very good out foraging..... until they get really big. I had a couple that dressed at over 35 lbs because I couldn't find anyone to do them when the people who used to do them quit doing them. But at 20 lbs live weight you will get a good sized turkey to eat. With all the extra breast meat that even though you don't care for white meat @baymule , alot of people do like it. Just my 2 cents.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At auction Sat, plenty of turkey. Mostly sold at aver of $25 ea and were ready to butcher. Some broad breasted whites were huge! A trio of Narrangassette looked small for age stated. Nope, didn't buy any. All I saw was guts and feathers. :oops:

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20201123-213416~2.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes of course... We have a burbon red tom for Thanksgiving and burbon red hen Christmas every year. They are delicious, easy keepers and full of personality. They require a minimum of 18% protein feed everyother day and constant water to remain healthy and good looking. Burbon reds lay two clutches every year, late winter and mid summer. Each clutch is around 20 eggs. Late winter cluthes rarely hatch because they freeze. Much better success with mid summer hatching. If you have an incubator you could try and hatch the earlier laid eggs and that might work. I usually just eat them the make a great one egg omlet.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kinda like the difference between a CCX and a heritage chicken? What about if I don’t want a turkey that big? Slaughter sooner and freeze him? Or get a smaller breed.... I have all winter to contemplate this. Really thinking on this. People are willing to pay $6 per pound for CCX, I bet they would LOVE a heritage farm raised turkey. Pondering on getting a few to raise and feel out the market.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just found this thread. Bay, you always have interesting ideas!

Ken and I raised 5 BBW several years ago. A coworker of Ken's had bought 50 babies for his daughter's 4H project. From that batch they whittle it down to a few. We got 5 of them.

This was our first time raising turkeys. We put them in with the chickens and as they got older, they went into the other side of the coop (think duplex). We thoroughly enjoyed having them around. They were very nosy and loved following us around. We lost one to a coyote in broad daylight. grrrrrr

They grew fast and ate what the chickens ate. When we processed they weighed between 25-30 lbs. A lot of meat and very tasty. I can't remember who said it, but she was right. When you are killing them, they do look at you. A bit unnerving.

We have talked about raising our own again. I am looking at the Bourbons.