Turkeys?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The difference in the bb turkeys from the standard breeds is like killing a cockerel from your laying hens and a cornish. They have a fair amount breast meat, but not big huge full plump breast of the bb hybrids.....
The bourbon reds have nice carcasses. The royal palms are just a smaller more compact breed.... they are more like a "runner duck" compared to a "pekin"...... I only ate one because I had constant orders for people wanting breeders, and all.... it was good. Honestly, for the money put into the feed and all....feeding a broad breasted one is more economical in the end .....return on input. They need to be killed off at 20-30 lbs live weight so that you have a manageable size bird. All the bb ones that I raised out on pasture did very good. They are smarter than most give them credit for.
But I want to raise some Beltsville whites and Midget whites to do some comparisons. They are suppose to have more breast than some of the other standard breeds of turkeys. They were actually developed to produce a smaller sized table bird with all the good things of the other commercial birds. Neither are "broad breasted" but both are supposed to have more "breast" meat..... I would like to have some to show.....and eat.....
If you want to look at colors Porters heritage turkeys is really into gene typing and all sorts of different colors.

If you are not keen on flyers, then the Royal Palms might be too athletic for you. The Bourbon Reds will fly up to 10-12 ft off the ground....I've seen them fly up on a coop roof, then higher into a tree. That is one thing that the bb's don't do... they don't fly....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Raising the poults, a friend on BYH posted that they gave them grow gel as soon as they arrived, and Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte & Vitamin as well as Sav-a-chick probiotic in their water for the first month. Then they just fed them per normal with turkey starter, then turkey grower.

I wanted to post that here for me and @WildBird so we can find later when we need it. :weee

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
😁 that's always a problem -- finding -- heck, I have copied and saved things in a file over past few years, on the computer. So a huge file of odd and ends now.

You have triggered the turkey button now. I emailed for info from a local with 7 hatched this summer, who has decided to stay with chickens only. Hmmmm wonder why. But at $10 each if you take all, hoping at least 3 months ???? Could be a good buy. It was 3 AM and couldn't sleep.....now I'm hoping, fully awake, that they are sold! :lol:. That would ease me away with a good mental out.
You could always say you were type-walking.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cornish Cross meat chicken is bland too. I feed the ones I raise on fermented feed. My customers tell me how much better it is than store bought.

So maybe you could feed your turkeys fermented feed.

My turkeys get a little fermented grains and fruit when I brew beer and make wine. Ofcourse they look like this afterwards ---> o_O

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have my large fowl chickens trained. If I open the scratch can they run into their pen. Even the 13 week olds learned. Silkies run in groups and learn to be herded with white pvc poles super quick. I'm sure turkeys could be taught as well.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do your turkeys fly up into the trees or do they stay in the coop and roost there? Would I need to cut the flight feathers to keep them from flying over the fence?

@CrealCritter what was the weight of your turkeys when butchered?

Turkeys are a little different than chickens Bay. They will roost on anything that's as high as they can get too. And they lay their clutches on the ground in the most hidden area they can find. When they finally start sitting, you won't see them. No I mean they like to think they are hidden and will go to extremes to hid themselves. If you have more than one hen they most often lay their clutches together and somehow they will all sit on eggs in one group, it's weird... I guess they like company for the long 28 day sit.

My largest turkey Tom was just shy of 28lbs dressed out, I almost didn't get him in the oven. When we cut into to him he had a good 1/2" fat layer in between the skin and meat. He made for some good eats and oh my the soup was off the chain delicious. My burbon reds are different from BBW or BBB their "White meat" is darker and the dark meat is way darker. If you ever had a wild turkey then you'll understand the taste. It's hard to explain but think about mid way from a BB to a wild turkey with a moist and rich taste and that would sum it up.

My suggestion is to feed them no more than 18% protein pellets every other day. Or you'll have a big fat fatty like I did. Expect some fatty layer in between the skin and the meat though even with 18% but that fat makes for a tasty 24 to 25lb dressed out Tom.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It will give you more than just seeds to search this winter. ;)

I've been told that they are pretty dumb as young ones. ? ? ? So maybe use your CCX tractor for them until they get a little older? By then you will be ready to add the quickie CCX flock. I'm helping you think....ok, enabling :lol:

You have an incubator?

Latest posts