Turkeys?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since day old poults are $5 to $10, and these are 3 months and well past the heat/brooder babying stage, that is a very good buy. Granted, they won't lay this fall/winter.... But will be worth $25 and up in the spring. It they were near here, I would get them for myself.
I sold a couple around 3 month old hens for $20.00 each. Nothing special about them other than they were burbon reds. Honestly I was glad to part with one of the hens, man she was a jabber jaw... key key key all day long, geeze shut up already! Something wasn't right with that girl.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh Bay I forgot about one of the vocal sounds young hens make I swear it sounds just like"I AM PRETTY" it's limited to young hens and its tone is almost like a whistle. My 5 year old granddaughter pointed it out to me. She said Paw Paw that turkey is saying I am pretty and she's right that's sure what it sounds like to me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm starting my breed research......

This particular article is a good one. I've only ever raised my turkeys in a open air coop. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to give them a roost when I move them to the garden. Chickens are easy... You give them a building and they go inside at night. Turkeys never like to be inside and never will go in at night. I've seen my turkeys covered in snow sitting on a roost in favor of a roost with a roof and even a 4x8 box with a space heater.i think I just solved my turkey roosting problem though, so thanks.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do your Bourbon Reds fly over the fence or stay where you put them?

They stay put Bay, I've never had one fly the coop persay. A 6' tall 2x4 welded wire fence is all that's needed to keep them contained. Even with a roost about 3' off the ground I never had one escape. But don't forget 2' high chicken wire around the bottom to keep babies confined. I did have poultry netting over the top at our other place. But that's because the Hawks, owls and occasional eagles would take off with a baby.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One more thing Bay about that article and in regards to a turkey Tom identifying you as male or female. That one is easy... You will always be the alpha period. The way you do that is easy, when challenged and you will be atleast once just spread your arm like wings and the turkey Tom will back down right quick. No need to do anything else, your the big bird.

I learned this as a kid growing up in northern Illinois. Damn Canadian geese are mean, just spread your arms and they back right down. Ofcourse I don't know if this would work for a ostrich they might be bigger than I am. I would really like to try and raise a few ostrich once.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha, I had a Longhorn bull once, I had to carry a pipe to keep him from charging and that didn't always work. I'd take a batter up stance and whack him as hard as I could on his nose right before he ran me down. He caught me without the pipe one time, started pawing, lowered his head, preparing to charge. I squatted down in a ball. This confused him, he stopped pawing, raising his head, cocking it from side to side trying to figure out where I went and what is THAT? I slowly stood up, put my arms out and charged! This scared the bejeebers out of him and he ran. My "horns" were bigger than his. :lol:

And that is but one of the reasons I no longer want to wrangle 1,500 to 2,000 pound bulls. I am just fine with a steer to feed out for the freezer and my SHEEP!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, back to turkeys. Do you ever let them out to free range?

Watching the country music awards last night, a film clip showed Luke Bryant and family under lockdown, they invited family and had a house full to hunker down with. During the interview, there was a proud Tom Royal Palm displaying in the background, up against the patio glass doors. Next shot, they opened the door and the Tom strolled right on in. LOL LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too bad, that was a deal! Probably somebody already scooped them up.

Latest posts