Turned your hobby into a business?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
More a business than a hobby, really, but I started a mealworm farm a few months ago. I started with one tub and then added more worms and more and now have 14 tubs of critters in various stages of worm/beetle/larva/eggs…. many of each. My first hatched worms are finally grown enough to sell and I have many more smaller ones coming. I'm hoping to be able to supply a petshop or two within a month :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm searching for something I know I can handle to do, with 167.67, which is my share of an insurance policy my grandfather paid into. Not to support me, exactly, but just to have an extra source of money I can keep separate from my other money.
But its fine if I can't......I might just buy a new wagon to help me with my chores. I have not moved my bee hives because of not having one. I'm sure Grandpa would love to help me with my current projects as well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Have you got a local farmer's market you can sell stuff at?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As I've said in other posts, I would like my farm to earn enough to pay for itself -- feed bills, fence, repairs, etc. With that in mind I have reached out to some who do "something" I may like to do, have ability to handle, etc. I love that others are so willing to share info, results, resources, etc. Most of us are to far apart to "hinder" the other ones markets

Yesterday was a total bust of a day with the snow, wet, etc. So I allowed myself to spend time researching what small farms in other areas have done, are doing, for same reason -- support the farm. Now some were just unreal -- foreign countries & even with so much less that I consider inadequate, yet surviving & making a living. OK, one where they had maybe 2 acres and grew 90% of feed for goats & chickens. The hand cut forage and walked it to them, in their small pens. My real OMG moment was when I saw one being milked and saw no washing, no cover on pail, little milk, (skinny doe)
and they sold a cupful at a time. This was via an interview from a TV station in an obviously underdeveloped country. They thought they were all fantastic. Hmmmm...
Malaysia had a very bio-secure farm and the goats were kept in what looked like a barn built as an over the road crossover.
Interesting, to say the least. Never saw a field of grass buy had excellent, nutritional feed/forage....hand fed by many workers who prob got a $1 a day. Excellent milking, vet care, feed, etc. Excellent care, tho odd for us.

Then, there were various (Utube) short videos of those who farm from young to retired & starting. Some were very informative, others could use help. One series had great description of how and why they did certain things for animal raising, handling, pasturing, marketing and reasons why some didn't work, etc., other things did and some changes to help. I especially liked one where they went from scythe cutting to horse drawn side cutter -- did exc job AND I already have the horses. Well, minis, but harness broke and able to do the light cutting. :p Just have to find a cutter -- PA & Amish. Not as easy as borrowing the sidecutter & use my tractor! Cute tho.

Farmer Markets vary in all areas. Best one here requires a few more dates & times than I would like but, viable. I am looking for another who will "share" a spot. Working. Already have some outlets for my goat soap, can sign up for some craft shows now. Would use the soaps at the F Market, also, plus fresh cut flowers, some veggies, eggs. It's tough getting things working, isn't it?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one thing about eggs, if you have extra, pickled eggs are delicious and probably have a good resale value, depending upon your local regulations and such this could be another consideration.

my own goals have not been to ever have an extra "side business" because i have limited time and energy, but also because to me when you start turning a small holding into that kind of extractive enterprise i think you eventually deplete the nutrients of your soil and also decrease the diversity. so for my own desires and needs i want to have enough growing here to support some of our food requirements but also to be able to increase diversity of species.

when i grow a bean, i want it to be productive enough, but i do not want it to be too demanding upon the soil and hugely productive. i'd rather have a moderately productive bean instead.

i'm kinda doubting that a lot of people are thinking this way about long term local and immediate sustainability when first starting out. they see all their land and think that they can graze and sell animals and turn woodlots into firewood and all that too, but in the long term burning wood will also deplete the local land. plus you do want some deadfalls and standing dead timber for habitat for various animals/bees, plants, fungi, etc.

i haven't read through this whole thread, so i've bookmarked it to come back to next time i get a chance. :)