Turned your hobby into a business?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe for that price, you should have made it out of 14 carrots! Yep, people are nuts.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's rare; usually people value something by how much they paid for it. I'm glad you were able to find someone that actually appreciated it.

Poka_Doodle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We haven't quite exactly yet. I did sell eggs this summer but hope to turn my showing into a money maker. I also will have the market sale that I hope to make a little off of.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Start-ups are tough - but that's when you learn what really works and when. A lot will be seasonal, I suppose. Try to make enough in the highly productive times to carry over in the lean times.

I sell plenty of eggs, but other than the occasional goat sale I don't have a lot of 'farm' income. I'll be reducing the goat herd after all the babies hit the ground so that'll help. I'd like to grow a lot more feed, or at least do more rotational grazing, but that would require more time than I can spare until I retire. Just 4 more years!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That is me in a nutshell. I want to support myself, and do what I love. I don't want a 9 to 5 job, but an occupation that I love and doesn't feel like work. Hopefully, right on the homestead.

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
These are great inspirational stories guys. I'm sure a lot of SS members will be motivated to take risks and start their own SS business.

Great job on starting this thread @sumi

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One of my biggest passions is garage sales, thrift stores, etc. So, I opened an antique/vintage store. Unfortunately there was too much overhead, so I had to close the store, but I still sell on Ebay quite a bit. It's really a good way to make some extra income if you know what to look for.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My DH and MIL dealt in antiques for years. I used to drive them crazy asking why this and that ugly little thing is so expensive. I guess I don't know what to look for ;)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ordered 20 something pullets and 3 roos, 5 years ago, and then received an e-mail that it would take 3 months to process my order. I didn't want to wait that long, so I cancelled and went to the city and bought 20 pullets. They didn't have roos, so I figured I'd just find one somewhere later and I started raising them. Then 3 months later, when I was outside, admiring my birds, who were in the yard, pecking and scratching, the post office calls, telling me that my chicks were in...the one's I cancelled. I knew, I would need to sell my extra eggs. I made it affordable,by bringing scraps from work....lotta food wasted when you talking about 160 people. Did that for 4 month before boss stopped me. Then started buying grain in bulk. I do good enough with just eggs but much better selling chicks, ducklings and goslings.
I used to sell Extreme Power Plus years back, until they pulled ephedra off the market and then it was a hard sell. Well, I overheard 2 of my aids talking about an herbal diet suppliment and I got them to tell me more and I told them that sounded like what I used to sell, back in the day and I could use some energy, so I was gonna see if I could find it...well, I'm back in and most of what I sell is to nurses and aids. I have a sign up in front my house though. Also sell 2 other products they offer....colon cleanser and SLImeal.
Neither of these can support me, but either can rescue me in a pinch and if you don't mix it with your money, then the next shipment is paid for and you can consider other ways to invest wih the difference.
Oh...and I don't have anyone distributing under me yet, but it works like that too. If I order a case, every 6 months, I'm considered an active distributer and anyone who buys, with me as their referral, I get a check cuz they selling...hasn't happened yet though. The real trick is to lose weight, look active and happy, so people actually want the stuff. Kinda hard to sell diet pills, unless people see you are losing weight.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ordered 20 something pullets and 3 roos, 5 years ago, and then received an e-mail that it would take 3 months to process my order. I didn't want to wait that long, so I cancelled and went to the city and bought 20 pullets. They didn't have roos, so I figured I'd just find one somewhere later and I started raising them. Then 3 months later, when I was outside, admiring my birds, who were in the yard, pecking and scratching, the post office calls, telling me that my chicks were in...the one's I cancelled. I knew, I would need to sell my extra eggs. I made it affordable,by bringing scraps from work....lotta food wasted when you talking about 160 people. Did that for 4 month before boss stopped me. Then started buying grain in bulk. I do good enough with just eggs but much better selling chicks, ducklings and goslings.
I used to sell Extreme Power Plus years back, until they pulled ephedra off the market and then it was a hard sell. Well, I overheard 2 of my aids talking about an herbal diet suppliment and I got them to tell me more and I told them that sounded like what I used to sell, back in the day and I could use some energy, so I was gonna see if I could find it...well, I'm back in and most of what I sell is to nurses and aids. I have a sign up in front my house though. Also sell 2 other products they offer....colon cleanser and SLImeal.
Neither of these can support me, but either can rescue me in a pinch and if you don't mix it with your money, then the next shipment is paid for and you can consider other ways to invest wih the difference.
Oh...and I don't have anyone distributing under me yet, but it works like that too. If I order a case, every 6 months, I'm considered an active distributer and anyone who buys, with me as their referral, I get a check cuz they selling...hasn't happened yet though. The real trick is to lose weight, look active and happy, so people actually want the stuff. Kinda hard to sell diet pills, unless people see you are losing weight.