Turned your hobby into a business?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These are mainly people DH works with. Most of them I haven't even met. When I used to make doggie crackers I gave samples to friends. They raved about them , many said that their dogs wouldn't eat any treats but gobbled these up. But did they want to pay for them?? NOOOO.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I was doing pony rides, the minister at the church I was attending wanted me to do a ride for someone-for half price! He said they couldn't afford it otherwise. Well, if they couldn't afford it, that was their problem, not mine!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This is a thing I've encountered many times and it really annoys me. We had a few small businesses over the years, selling plants, antiques, you name it. People do NOT want to pay, or they make you ridiculous offers. But you won't see them squabble over prices at the supermarkets, no?

@cknmom Cakes is something I completely suck at, though I can bake about anything else lol

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love to bake and decorate cakes, all self taught. I don't care to eat cake much though. People think that the price is high but they don't consider the time it takes me to make it, the cost of energy(which I don't add into the price) and the fact that everything I make is from scratch- I don't buy cake mixes! I had some people say that they could get the same thing cheaper at Wal-mart. GO AHEAD.
Mine is bigger around and taller and better!

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have earned a bit of money from crocheting simple items (think dish clothes, scarves,baby sweaters, afghans) for our church craft shows. This year I am also trying my hand at simple Waldorf-type dolls, stuffed using wool from my own sheep. We shall see how it goes. I am not an expert, but I enjoy doing it and people seem to like and appreciate the things I make. Handiwork of any type seems to be a dying art in most areas where I have lived.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love to bake and decorate cakes, all self taught. I don't care to eat cake much though. People think that the price is high but they don't consider the time it takes me to make it, the cost of energy(which I don't add into the price) and the fact that everything I make is from scratch- I don't buy cake mixes! I had some people say that they could get the same thing cheaper at Wal-mart. GO AHEAD.
Mine is bigger around and taller and better!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like eating cake!

People have no idea the effort that goes into producing home baked goodies and crafts. I'd LOVE to see something at a Walmart or any other store that can match a home made product… There is NO comparison.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have earned a bit of money from crocheting simple items (think dish clothes, scarves,baby sweaters, afghans) for our church craft shows. This year I am also trying my hand at simple Waldorf-type dolls, stuffed using wool from my own sheep. We shall see how it goes. I am not an expert, but I enjoy doing it and people seem to like and appreciate the things I make. Handiwork of any type seems to be a dying art in most areas where I have lived.
An old lady taught me to crochet years ago, but I never got into it. I may one, but at the moment I enjoy sewing more. The funny thing is I hated sewing until our neighbour showed me a quilt she made, 100% hand stitched…. I'm working on my 8th quilt at the moment! I got hooked after the first one. I found that not many people are willing to pay the price I have to put on a quilt for the 100's of hours of sewing I put into each of them, so I gave 5 of them away, sold 2 and the current one and the next one will finally be for myself.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
An old lady taught me to crochet years ago, but I never got into it. I may one, but at the moment I enjoy sewing more. The funny thing is I hated sewing until our neighbour showed me a quilt she made, 100% hand stitched…. I'm working on my 8th quilt at the moment! I got hooked after the first one. I found that not many people are willing to pay the price I have to put on a quilt for the 100's of hours of sewing I put into each of them, so I gave 5 of them away, sold 2 and the current one and the next one will finally be for myself.
I had someone ask me to make them a custom quilt. I designed it, did several hrs. of searching for the unique materials, figuring my cost, hrs of work, etc. Gave him the price and he said he'd just buy one at the store instead!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
kind of hard to be proud of passing down a cheap ole walmart blanket to your loved ones. i know that we all have to watch our pennys but pride in material and workmanship mean a lot.
Well said! :thumbsup

Latest posts