Turned your hobby into a business?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I had someone ask me to make them a custom quilt. I designed it, did several hrs. of searching for the unique materials, figuring my cost, hrs of work, etc. Gave him the price and he said he'd just buy one at the store instead!
I made one custom quilt for someone, for her little girl's birthday. She thankfully didn't squabble over the price I quoted her (quote a bit, but nowhere near worth my time). The first ever quilt I made (gave it and the second one to my favourite charity), got auctioned off at some fancy fundraiser event. I was devastated when I learned how little it fetched. It took me about 5 months of hours daily to make it and considering how grand this event was, you'd have thought people wouldn't brought deeper pockets.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that handmade goods have become a rarity, rather than the rule; people are unaware of how much time goes into a handmade project. They also usually have NO idea how much the materials cost.

I think it's ironic that these same people will go out of their way to buy Fair Trade chocolate and coffee, and brag about it to their acquaintances, yet expect their own countrymen and countrywomen to be willing to work for pennies.

I remember a woman picking up a $15 ring from a tray of rings I had made- it was gold-fill and tourmaline- she wanted to know if it was 14carat gold. For $15 effing dollars? puhleez!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe for that price, you should have made it out of 14 carrots! Yep, people are nuts.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have made most of my grandchildren embroidered baby quilts. I only think one of them really appreciated it. My youngest one I just sent hers a couple of months ago, she seemed to like it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Someone ordered a baby quilt from me, paid for it and then didn't collect it. Eventually she told me to just give it away. At the time there was a young lady working in the supermarket we frequented in town and she was pregnant, so I decided to just give her the baby quilt. We moved away shortly after and I didn't see her again for about 2 years. When I did she told me what wonderful use they had from that quilt and how much she appreciated it :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's rare; usually people value something by how much they paid for it. I'm glad you were able to find someone that actually appreciated it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
More a business than a hobby, really, but I started a mealworm farm a few months ago. I started with one tub and then added more worms and more and now have 14 tubs of critters in various stages of worm/beetle/larva/eggs…. many of each. My first hatched worms are finally grown enough to sell and I have many more smaller ones coming. I'm hoping to be able to supply a petshop or two within a month :)

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I see that this thread has not been active in some time, but I would love to give some input as to what my husband and I do. We both work from home and make enough each month from the things we sell that come from our homestead. Our two main sources of income are lumber we've milled ourselves, and art that we've made from recycled and natural materials (pallet picture frames, walking sticks, home/farm signs, bird houses, and we've started crafting with furs too). Other ways we make some income include small yard sales every other month, selling canned produce/fresh produce in season, and selling duck/chicken eggs.

We've learned that by working for ourselves from home, we do things on our own time and have room to accomplish a lot more. Our bills/spending was much higher when we traveled and held jobs (spending gas money all the time, eating out, etc) but now that we stay here we have noticed we don't need as much to get by.

Poka_Doodle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We haven't quite exactly yet. I did sell eggs this summer but hope to turn my showing into a money maker. I also will have the market sale that I hope to make a little off of.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm searching for something I know I can handle to do, with 167.67, which is my share of an insurance policy my grandfather paid into. Not to support me, exactly, but just to have an extra source of money I can keep separate from my other money.
But its fine if I can't......I might just buy a new wagon to help me with my chores. I have not moved my bee hives because of not having one. I'm sure Grandpa would love to help me with my current projects as well.