Turning off the tv

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I haven't watched TV in a couple years either. For one thing, my DH has so many extra gadgets and converters that I don't even know how to turn it on. If there is any time I like to watch TV it is in late fall when there is nothing to do and it is to cold and damp to go outside. I DO spent alot of time online however...but I like it simply because it is more interactive:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love to watch TV
BUT
only a few shows. I love Discovery, SciFi sometimes and I love LOST, Ghost Whisperer, and some others.........I used to leave the tv on for noise. I never thought about it til one day I said, what the????--LOL and off it went.

TV comes on to watch shows then off to do other things. I love shows on Tough Alaska, Dirty Jobs, Survivorman....and more.

Nicole gets great learning from Noggin. I must say cartoons now are not the ones I watched as a kid, they are now packed with lessons and learning and social manners, etc. etc......so she watches some of that.

Tony loves tv to relax. He seldom gets to ever watch tv with his work schedule and our farm....but about 9-10 pm he watches til he falls alseep...then off it goes.

So I love tv, but pick and choose what I watch. I know I surely would never give it up, ever! :)

And reading about phantom power, I will be putting my tvs and Dvds etc. all on power strips, cause anything with a remote never truly turns off. Now granted it uses extreme small amt. of power to "standby" for a remote again, but what the heck, I want to save that littlest bit of electricity too..HA HA

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a TV, but mostly use it for movie watching. We have a small Netflix subscription, and if my wife and I have a little moment to ourselves at the end of the night, it's nice to turn on a movie and curl up together on the couch with some hot cocoa or a glass of wine. As far as actual TV programs, I watch maybe half an hour or so per week... the occasional news in the morning if I'm zonked, the occasional Scrubs rerun late at night... Not much.

I don't think TV is evil, but I do agree with many of you that it can take over and prevent you from remembering to do things like go outside, take a walk, bake cookies... and so on. I don't think I could ever get rid of it entirely. I really like to have it on when there's a tornado or big storm in the area, and I also really love to watch my movies, as we can't go out to them anymore with a little baby in the house.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I cancelled my cable subscription today :cool:. There now I shouldn't be able to find much I even want to watch. Its kind of nice actually knowing I won't ever have to deal with those people again, just cancelling it was a huge hassle.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow RTR
you are braver than me.....Tony said he must have cable to survive..HA HA
something I will keep for a while but I am on the basic package for sure. one day maybe!? :)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't had cable for a long time (7 years? something like that) and really don't miss it, except for 1 or 2 shows that I can find online if I need a fix. We get 4 channels on the antenna, and that's fine for me. Enough that I can get some local news and some amusing late-night entertainment if need be. I might need cable if I didn't get Netflix for my movie fix... but that pretty much solves all my TV-watching needs, for less than cable too.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yah I figured if I got an antannae to watch the news it should be fine not having cable.

FarmerChick, trust me I wouldn't have done it without Jason's approval. I'm glad its hunting season so he'll be all focused on that. Maybe he won't miss ESPN..

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL

yea Tony hunts too and can't wait!

but one thing he says to me every now and then is---ya know I make good money, why can't I have Directtv?.....HA HA....a few times I mentioned cancelling it and he just can't do it.

can't deny the poor guy something he wants, even though I sure make him scrimp in other areas. :rant

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
RTRChick said:
So, I cancelled my cable subscription today :cool:. There now I shouldn't be able to find much I even want to watch. Its kind of nice actually knowing I won't ever have to deal with those people again, just cancelling it was a huge hassle.
Good for you!!! You know, they have great movies at the library for checking out. Our local library has no limit on how many you can check out at one time and you can keep them for 2 weeks!

And, every time my kids and I feel like going to the movies to watch something, we get half way there and realize...for the cost of all of us going to the theatre, we could buy quite a few DVDs at Walmart! That way we can watch them over and over again...which we tend to do and then we quote movies all the time....our own little family brand of humor! :D

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol beekissed, I'm like that about going to the movies too. Its like hmmm $15 for a movie I'm gonna watch maybe 2 hrs or oooo rent a bunch. I didn't realize the library rented movies, I'll have to check into that. Thank you for the tip ;)

sooo farmerchick, does tony work for the cable company or directtv? cause if its the cable company then thats just funny.

you'll have to excuse me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed :D