TV..do you have it? Do you watch it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We can only hope...if society even could recognize it. After years of "reality" shows, I'm not sure many people know just what reality is anymore.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We can only hope...if society even could recognize it. After years of "reality" shows, I'm not sure many people know just what reality is anymore.
Certainly nothing you see on TV even remotely qualfies as "REALITY" IMHO

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Toulle said:
Icu4dzs said:
After years of thinking about this, (and lurking on this thread for a while) the words of Nicolai Lenin(of Russian fame) come to mind when he accused religion of being "the opiate of the masses". Well, that was because he didn't have TV which has now become to some extent replaced by the internet for those of us who don't have time to watch TV. But without a doubt, the TV has become the OPIATE of the masses and after reading this thread, it is clear to me that even folks who spend a significant amount of time doing the things we all know have to get done in order to be self-sufficient, spend a great deal of time mesmerized by the TV.
<snipped>
Yep, I did it again. I filled your page with my "personal opinion" and am certain some will find what I said, "offensive" but then again we must always remember "Brutus IS an honorable man"
YMMV
Trim sends
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1808_images.jpeg
//BT//
hmmmmmm, as usual a lot to digest with many good points.....

I do know you're right about at least one thing: I for one spend too much time watching tv.

If by "offensive" you mean making one think outside their comfort zone, then by all means be as offensive as you please.

Let me work on my muscadine vines while I think that over. More later.....
I thought on it a bit while I bloodied my knuckles winter trimming a couple vines.....

Why do I watch too much TV?
Well as counter-intuitive as it may sound it is the only time DW and I get to sit and enjoy one another's company. Our schedules do not allow a whole lot else, as I am currently stuck on night shift.
If we worked on our projects or whatever in the evenings, then we would be even more isolated from one another. I am particularly guilty of that; when I am in a project I can get totally involved and forget she is even there.
Solutions: Get better schedules and find other things to do together. Working on it.

Television as the opiate of the masses
I think so too, but the masses need an opiate. I have an "Ortegan View" of the majority of Americans. Jose Ortega Y Gassett refered to the "mass man". Without entering into a dissertation this is the typical person, who can only take care of themselves: work their job and go home. They have no desire, need, ambition or any such for anything more. Education beyond what is required to put a roof over their head and food on the table is frivolous to them.
Well that's fine. Bless those guys we need 'em. The ditches must be dug and the widgets must be made. Without the common masses that won't happen.
We cannot expect the masses to engage in other pursuits beyond working their jobs and watching TV. As Ortega points out, to involve them in other things merely cheapens these things. The problem arises when the masses become the rule: pretty much the same thing as "dumbing down"
So let 'em have their TV. It keeps them fat, content, and leaving the things we enjoy alone.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: You have a point there....but if you wear a hat, it won't even show.

:D (that means I agree, BTW)

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:lol: You have a point there....but if you wear a hat, it won't even show.

:D (that means I agree, BTW)
I had to mull that one over a minute....

Now I get it

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
An old farmer friend of mine used to say that when he agreed with what I said....just a little funny! :D