TV..do you have it? Do you watch it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This is an old subject but I couldn't find the old threads. I've been visiting with my mother who has a sat dish..but never watches it. I've not had "TV" for most of my life and only get to see bits and pieces at other people's homes and such. Since I've been visiting Mom's, I've gotten to see just what is on there now....so...here's a question:

...what are your thoughts on TV? Do you find it helpful in your life? Does it fit into your plans to be more frugal or not?

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have 2 TVs. One is in the bedroom and is hooked up to a DVD player. We do not have cable and only receive broadcast TV, none of which is helpful in our lives. We watch the occasional NOVA or Nature on PBS and sometimes History detectives. Oh, yes and the olympics when it comes around. The other TV is in the livingroom and is usually used in the same way. So, no, TV is not big in our lives. When we lived in Texas it was nice to have for hurricane coverage.

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My thoughts:

Most of what is on TV is mindless drivel intended to distract and direct the masses.

TV is no real help in our lives. I prefer real people and the real world.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We went 10 years with no TV. Couldnt receive local where we were near the base flightline. I think getting Dish out here has probably been a mistake.

I'm really cynical about commercials now and I can't stand most programs. We watch news, PBS stations, history, discovery, cooking, stuff like that. And some cartoons :D I can sit and do stuff and watch Looney Tunes.

I have found it does make it seem less lonely when I'm alone all day. I really don't listen to the radio much.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am neither a television nor a phone person. I can do without both. DH likes the telly to watch, after a long hard day at work. So, I don't begrudge him that.
As far as content.....it is merely a business like everything else. Mindless drivel and advertising, to promote spending of the masses. Right now, we have a TV antenna hooked up. The past year and a half, we haven't had anything but netflix. The tv antenna was already on the property when we bought it. Just got it moved to use it, 2 weeks ago.
Anyhoo....the only good things to watch.....PBS stations. I watch the vintage comedies, but...they are all syndicated. I can take tv or leave it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love tv. wouldn't part with it.

I only love certain shows and channels. Tony loves the hunting channels and kiddo loves her kid stuff.

TV is some down time for us. I use it as entertainment like anything else when we want it.

While alot of it stinks for sure, there are tons of great things on cable. I am not a fan of the cost but will pay it.

A tv will always be with me..lol

and what about you Bee? finding anything that catches your fancy?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
kstaven said:
My thoughts:

Most of what is on TV is mindless drivel intended to distract and direct the masses.

:thumbsup I agree

We have one. But I dont watch it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
kstaven said:
My thoughts:

Yep! Aside from that, we watch the news and weather. We went 2 years without TV, but I really hated to have to call someone who had TV to see if we were out of the tornado warnings/watches area so I could go to bed with peace of mind. And I disliked getting news late. So it is helpful to my life to a certain degree. The regular sitcom/cartoon/show programming though....mindless drivel for certain. I have found even the Discovery, History, learning, and other channels to be a toss up because the political slant of most of them make them difficult to sort through to get the facts if there even are any facts. TV programming IMO wants us to be predisposed to think certain ways and I dislike being told what to think :p Ours is on the news or weather 95% of the time it is on. We use it for little else, but those are important uses IMO. We got the cheapest package possible just to get those. I think I irritated the salesman...ahem I mean the "customer support representative"..... when we hooked back up because they couldn't sell me any extras :lol:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was working 3rd, in Upstate SC...2008-2009..and some of 10....the company I was at ran the TV... 24/7...one channel in the breakroom. Now, we had limited options for break. That breakroom, one in the back of the building, or, at our stations. We were not allowed to sit in our vehicles in the parking lot, or leave. And, time constraints limited our given options. I got sick and tired of after a while.....Fox news. Over and over. The only time we got a break from it, was if the tv had gotten turned off for some reason. The company didn't even give us the weather channel.....so we could see if we need to be concerned about it.
I really enjoy the peace and quiet now.
Oh, when I was working....the first year was 72+ hour work weeks.....mandatory. That's alot of TV. :tongue :sick

MuttlyCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
HI all I am new around here.

We have cable for news and KU basketball and for noise. It was also cheaper to bundle the phone cable and internet then to just get the net. But I could easly have it cut off after I found Hulu. Love the old tv stuff you can find on there for free. Off to do the intro thing

Have a great day

Stacy

Latest posts