TV Show about Self Sufficient Family

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How can you use horse manure to run a truck?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
In general I liked the show. a bit eccentric, even for us, only because it focuses on the outrageous. It was still alot of fun to watch.
I think they could do better by using us and making a series, so that people would get a more realistic picture and actually learn some how to's.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I SO want more info on the gas emulsifier thing! Loved the comment "it runs great, but wouldn't want to be behind it...." :gig

Running car on horse poo (or any carbon based material, wonder if they'll think to use those leftover corn cobs) - technology (the dad stated) used as late as WW2 where you burn carbon based material (wood chips, dried horse poo, etc), and capture the exhaust they give off, cool it down, and burn that as gas - preferably in a VERY old model vehicle with no computer chips

I plan to tune in again, but I admit I found myself thinking - WHAT are their credit card bills? Which in my mind defeats the purpose of being self-sufficient - although, if the cow manure hits the combine blades, credit companies might not be around to harass us for the money we've spent before we earned it, but still....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It sounds like he is very inventive and trying new things. But at what point would you call this SS? do they can? do they have bulk storage or diversity of animals? I guess I should google it and see if I can find it on line. Sounds a bit like Ed Begley Jr.

Thanks for the update Pam.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought both episodes were great. Sure they spiced it up for the audience and some of it was kind of hoky. But the base principals were right-on.

I think we all should try to email The History Channel with our approval messages and encourage then to continue the series. Maybe we can email them through their website. I think that there may be a possibility that other self sufficient folks would be featured on this series if there is enough viewer interest.

To me it was a fun show to watch and had some very interesting SS goals and ideas. Of course, there will be nay-sayers and critics but I thought it was a great start. DW and I did not care for all the filthy language though.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the premise is great, and the family is entertaining, but I really hate how they set stuff up to make these reality shows go smoothly. Watching w/DH, as soon as they saw that truck in the junkyard, he said "No WAY that was a junkyard find!" Maybe it will get less obviously set up as time goes on.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
A more realistic picture? HA. Ain't gonna find that on TV...
Unfortunately, if some of us were to be filmed, we'd have to be bouncing off the wall with our projects to make it as exciting as television does.. That is, after all, how they get more viewers.

I don't own a TV either, but I'm going to be visiting home and I'll have access to a television, so I'll have to try and see if I can catch it.

(Sorry Pam, not reading your spoilers! =P)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
A more realistic picture? HA. Ain't gonna find that on TV...
Unfortunately, if some of us were to be filmed, we'd have to be bouncing off the wall with our projects to make it as exciting as television does.. That is, after all, how they get more viewers.

I don't own a TV either, but I'm going to be visiting home and I'll have access to a television, so I'll have to try and see if I can catch it.

(Sorry Pam, not reading your spoilers! =P)
Yeah you couldnt do one on me, I collect eggs and feed. I dont blow things up very often, but I seem to run into things often.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My life, even with 6 kids, would not make a very good show. We are just to boring.
I think if I did self sufficient how to's it would only be good enough for 3 minute youtube videos. Then they would probably still be to boring for people to watch.

But, I think they did manage to have him come across as an inventive eccentric with a sense of humor without making him look like a crazy loon that is building a fully stocked bomb shelter because the world is ending.

Latest posts