UGH, Auto Repair -- Not SS Here

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just had to take my car in for some regular maintenance. I can't tell you how much I hate and try to avoid auto repair shops. If you are a woman, it is as if you are a walking/talking open purse, if you know what I mean. And no I do not do my own car maintenance. I am one of those people who strips the tops of screws and can cause a copy machine to crash just by pressing the copy button. :p

I always have my guard up when I have to go to a shop, and I was very unhappy with my most recent visit, as I had decided to try a new repair shop that is close to my house. Among the things that did not make me happy was being told that my timing belt needed replacement, when it had just been done the last time I had repairs done (w/in 2 years and 10K miles). So after that anything that came out of the mechanic's mouth was subject to high scrutiny on my part. Other fun events were his quoting me a price for more repairs than he ended up doing, and then telling me we hit that quoted price (w/o everything being done). But the grand finale was when I got in my car to drive home and noticed one of those darn oil change stickers in the window, when I had expressly told them NOT to change the oil because it had just been done (about 2 weeks ago and with a much higher grade synthetic oil that should have lasted up to a year -- I don't drive much, in case you were wondering). I could NOT get a straight answer out of the mechanic about whether the oil was in fact changed (and therefore would need to be changed in 5K or 3 months), besides him saying I wasn't charged for it. Whateva! :rolleyes:

I'm feeling kind of huffy (to put it mildly) about the whole thing, if you couldn't tell. But I did find something interesting . . . for those who don't know, there is a website that can give you a good idea of what to expect to pay for repairs on your particular car in your particular area. Here is the link . FYI, the site seems to need cookies in order to work. LOL I could use a sign like that "will work for cookies!"

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that seems crazy Drake
they couldn't tell you if the oil was changed or not? Hmm...were you billed? Hmm...very suspect indeed.

I have no problems with my repair guy. I got the best guy who treats all customers great. He doesn't shaft women or anything and just gives great service at low prices. Good old timey mechanic!!!!

Shop around for that kind of guy. Maybe ask at work or wherever and see where people take their cars for maintenance. You might luck into a good one!!

My MIL suggested this guy and I have been with him for over 10 years since Tony and I met and his MIL has been with him longer.

Once you find that right guy for maintenance, whew...you hang onto him for dear life..HA HA HA

Yea, I know how you feel. Just jipped! Just robbed in a way...with no satisfaction and spending money to show for it! I know...stinks.

Just keep an eye out and see if anyone can suggest a great mechanic.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks FarmerChick. :)

The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing I won't be taking my car back there again. :/

The whole oil change scenario was very odd. The other thing he said was "well, we just slap those stickers on all the cars we service." Uhhh . . . yeaaaah, then why does it state a specific grade of oil on it???? :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hmmm....he blew you off.
Did you get an itemized bill? It would be the only way to know the charges for every single thing in the total bill?

I know you are wondering if you got over charged or they did work not asked,,,,ugh....then you are in the "do I pursue" it or just let it drop mode...LOL

I know it stinks big time!
But you know you will never go back so that is a plus..HA HA---they won't be getting your hard earned money ever again! It does make me feel better when I get screwed that I know no more of my money will ever go to the crappy place again.....little peace of mind anyway..LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, they gave me an itemized bill and I looked everything up on that website I linked to (above) and it turns out that the charges were reasonable. So I feel ok about that, however the oil thing is going to drive me nuts for some time. Oh well, I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

Yes, it feels good to vote with one's dollar. :) It's sort of like having the last laugh I guess . . . except I'm not laughing. :/

Thanks for listening to my rant. ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I own and operate my own automotive repair shop and I can tell you there is NO WAY I would ever treat a customer like you were treated.
I can say that since this was the first time he had ever seen your car,he probably suggested the timing belt because of your cars mileage and he had no knowledge of past repairs. ALL manufacturers have designated interval to change them. If the timing belt breaks,it can cause a LOT of damage(read expensive) to the rest of the engine. He SHOULD have been able to tell you if he changed the oil or not. That sounds bogus to me........
Did you request they return your old parts or at least show them to you? They may have to return them for a core charge, depending on the part.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you, SKR8PN, for your response. No I didn't ask for returned parts, I never seem to remember to do that, but my husband and I did look around in the engine and it looks like they did what they said they were going to do. . . we just couldn't determine if the oil was what my husband had put in or something different.

Thanks for the advice about the timing belt. The last mechanic I took it to said it wasn't worn too bad, but I told him it needed to be done at the 60K mark (otherwise I would not remember to do it). I have a pretty good manual for my car and try to keep to the regular maintenance schedule.

Do you think I should change the oil then at the interval they wrote? It seems to me that with most oil you need to change it by 3 months if you don't drive frequently enough to hit the recommended mileage mark for the change. Thanks. :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Did you request they return your old parts or at least show them to you? They may have to return them for a core charge, depending on the part.
That is one of the first things I tell whomever will be doing any kind of repair work, oil changes etc to my car. I never leave my car with anyone new. I stand and watch. They have to show me old parts inculding air filters and I have to watch them put the new one in. If I can't watch they can't work on my car. I will go to another shop.
(I don't mean standing over someones shoulder, I understand the liablility of not being in the work area but I can stand back outside the work area and watch.)

The place that changes my oil (when I don't do it myself) has learned to bring me the air filter and let me look at it and decided if I want new or just want them to blow the old one out.

Unfortunately it only takes one disreputable shop to create people like me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream said:
SKR8PN said:
That is one of the first things I tell whomever will be doing any kind of repair work, oil changes etc to my car. I never leave my car with anyone new. I stand and watch. They have to show me old parts inculding air filters and I have to watch them put the new one in. If I can't watch they can't work on my car. I will go to another shop.
(I don't mean standing over someones shoulder, I understand the liablility of not being in the work area but I can stand back outside the work area and watch.)

The place that changes my oil (when I don't do it myself) has learned to bring me the air filter and let me look at it and decided if I want new or just want them to blow the old one out.

Unfortunately it only takes one disreputable shop to create people like me.
LOL--to create people like you!! LOL
that just struck me funny. I guess I have been created by some stores and other places also..HA HA---the things I do cause of what has been done to ME! LOL