UGH, Auto Repair -- Not SS Here

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm with you, Drake! As a single woman, you get taken to the cleaners often by mechanics. It took me some time to realize~after I dated a mechanic~to ask for the old parts, highly scrutinize the new parts, call around and check pricing on parts before agreeing to any parts purchases, and ask anyone and everyone about a prospective mechanic.

As for the oil....that would really tick me off! I like a certain kind of oil in my car and no other....I would have made them change it back to my original oil or threaten to call the Better Business Bureau. They apparently didn't think you would catch that little item or thought you would be appreciative and cough up the extra charge. That you did catch it and was not pleased probably resulted in your not getting charged for it. Sneaky devils! :rant

As you can probably tell, I've been ripped off quite a bit over the years..... :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, Beekissed, I thought about asking them to give me the oil that had been in there back, but wasn't sure what to believe or even if it would be possible at this point to recover the oil. Hmmmm. Do you think it's worth trying?

The one nice thing about the website I found is that it breaks the pricing down to the parts, as well as the labor, for most every job you would need done. So I double checked the parts costs on my bill against the website.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They are required by law to dispose of their old oil in a certain fashion, so I would say, if they don't even admit they changed it, they sure aren't going to give it back!

I will check out your site and bookmark it...it is surely to come in handy!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the oil, Beekissed. I figured they would never fess up and just keep telling me bs anyway, but at least now I won't have to imagine my oil sitting in a container somewhere. . . the things that I torture myself with mentally. :rolleyes:

I hope that site works out for you! I know I will be checking on how much things cost now before I take my car in, or agree to maintenance.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden, here is my take on the oil change intervals. If you do a lot of very short, in town trip where the engine never gets a chance to get fully warmed up,then you need to step up your oil change interval. If it takes you 3 months to get 3000 miles, that is 1000 miles a month, or about 250 miles a week. Then you are about right as far as timing and driving conditions. BUT, if it takes you 6 months to 300 miles, then you need to drop your oil changes down to every 2000 miles,or, better yet, just do it every 3 months like your suggesting. If you do mostly short trips, and only do them once a week,then synthetic oil is a waste of money for you because you never get the engine warm enough to burn off the moisture and acids that are formed by your short trip driving style. Better to use regular motor oil and change it more frequently.
Our driving style and distances allow me to extend my oil changes, and even then I only do a "full service" every other oil change. The ones in between the full services, I only change the filter and add a quart to top it off till the next service is due an I run full synthetic oil.
I would NEVER recommend that option to you because of your driving habits.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Interesting info, SKR8PN, I will have to digest it. Thanks. :)

In general I do drive once a week short distances, but I try to also drive about once a month on a longer trip . . . about 140 miles or so. Not sure if that is considered the long-distance trip that is supposed to be good for engines or not. I really don't drive long distance trips anymore like I once did.

I just hate the idea of changing oil every 3 months for such light vehicle use.

Reaction score
They can't return your oil. Most places have a 55 gal drum on wheels with a large funnel that they put under your drain hole. Your oil is mixed in with a bunch of nasty stuff you don't want to see. 3 month intervals is good advice if you're never getting your engine hot regardless of mileage. The moisture can really break down and contaminate your oil. I have a company vehicle and we are required to change oil every 5k. I put that on every 6 weeks.

millerdave36

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
would just like to ask how can i be sure that these repair auto shops will not rip me off. i've read a lot of things in other forums about people getting ripped off. thanks.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This whole thread burns my toast!
I *hate* feeling like a helpless woman when it comes to my car, but the reality is that I am.
I've had mechanics try to rip me off quite a few times.
Bleh! I want to at least know how to change my own oil. I've found one shop around town that is great, but I hate paying people for something that I could do myself!

Random story to anger the womens: Couple years ago I was leaving my friend's house and discovered that my tire was flat. I started to change the tire but the lug nuts were TIGHT and I ended up jumping up and down on the tire iron to loosen them. Apparently some stupid frat boys saw me and decided I was ripe for the flirtin', so they came over from the nearby apts and asked if I needed help. I politely told them,
"no thanks, I've got it", to which they replied,
"HA! No you don't. Let us get that, hon."

Hell has seen no wrath like the wrath that was unleashed at being called "hon" at that moment. They decided to go back to their party shortly after that. :hu

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
So, Occamstazer...............did you ever get those lug nuts loose? Please don't tell me that you snapped one of them off. :barnie I HATE the idiots in those cut rate tire shops and oil change places, that tighten the lug nuts or the oil filters so damned tight that you have to cut them off. :he :he :he

I was going through some old records the other day,from way back when I first started operating my own shop. I felt REALLY old when I realized that I have not one, not two, but THREE families, that I am currently, or have in the past, worked on their vehicles for three generations!!! Now WONDER I ache when I get up in the morning, I am OLD!! :gig :gig