Ugh... Broke and struggling... Ideas anyone?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, I don't really have any serious bills, nothing that is essential anyways, since I'm living with the parents. But, I have the laptop bill every two weeks ($53) and the phone bill every month ($20), plus diapers ($33 every month and a half or so) and wipes ($15ish every month or so). And, I have no income. Yup, absolutely nothing. I stopped working when my parents could no longer help watch the boys (they're fixing up a different house). I tried for subsidized daycare, but had to apply for temporary cash assistance in order to avoid the apparantly year long waiting list. Unfortunately, the cash assistance has a waiting list of several weeks. Now, my parents will buy stuff that the boys need if I can't figure out a way to get it, but I try not to do that. Even so, I still have the other bills to pay. So, I have no way to work without a sitter, which I cannot afford. I've been busting my butt making soap, but it has such a long cure time, and I'm in a super pinch now. I have fizzing bath powders, which are awesome, but bath powders really aren't a big hit. I also have raw sugar scrubs and coffee scrubs. Again, not a big hit. I cannot knit or crochet. I don't really know what else I can make that doesn't cost money, but would make money, lol. I have my soaping supplies, but I'm about out of one of the oils, so I soon won't be able to make soaps anymore either. So... any ideas from the great minds of SS?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh hon, I feel for you. Oh boy do I feel for you. Some posted this beautifully long list of work from home stuff. Much of it seemed to be computer related and if you are going to be paying that for a computer, it ought to be making you some income. Coffee scrub huh? I like coffee and scrubbing. Msg or call me with what I should paypal you :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well off the top of my head I am looking at the cost of diapers and wipes. Have you ever used cloth? Do you have any fabric you could use instead? How about wash cloths instead of wipes? How old is you son? Is he close to potty training?

Your paying 106 dollars per month for your lap top? I am sorry to say but when push comes to shove, do you really need it?

Instead of looking for someone to watch you children how about watching other peoples kids?

Just a few things that ran through my head.

Good luck.

g

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Are you in a rural or urban setting right now?

Can you find someone else who needs their children babysat? Maybe they would rather pay you to watch them than stick them in daycare.

Do you know of anyone who is caring for an elderly parent that could use a break? They could pay you to bring your kids and sit with the elderly person. House sitting services where you can bring the kids along, pet sitting services.

If you're in an urban setting, you can pick up aluminum cans and turn them into cash pretty quickly.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Babysitting is what came to my head also. I used to babysit other children so I could stay home with my oldest dd. I also did painting and landscape work on the weekends when I could get someone to watch my child to increase my income. You could also do odd jobs. If friends or their parents know you are struggling they may offer you one time jobs like cleaning out their garage, etc...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
If no full time babysitting jobs are available put up a note at the courthouse, library, or any other local place that will let you. Maybe you can pick up some cash from a night or two of babysitting for several people.

Sitting with an elderly person is great too. But if nothing fulltime there either, maybe you can offer to sit for a few hours. If you have a car you might try offering your services for taking elderly people to Dr Visits, grocery shopping and other errands. Just be sure to figure in not only your time but wear and tear on your car.

I know when my mom was still living I would have give my left arm for someone who was willing just to give me a half day. Everyone wanted 20 bucks an hour, 8 hours a day with a minimum of 4 days. And lord what I would have given for someone to take her to a Dr Visit occasionally when it was almost impossible for me to take one more day off work. That required a 1 year contract, my left hand and right foot, my first born, and giving them a list of her next 6 Drs appointments 6 months in advance. And we won't even talk about the cost.

PM me with what you have available. Maybe I can help some.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is your laptop on a contract? You are SERIOUSLY getting screwed over, IMO. IF you can, get out of that. Think about it. If you save $100 a month, you can OWN your laptop in 5 or 6 months.

Do your parents have a phone? Do YOU need a phone? You might not need a phone but if you want to have any business going you'll need either phone or computer.

Wipes are easy. Got an old t-shirt? bedsheet? any cotton or absorbant fabric? great! Cut it into squares/rectangles and lay them in a plastic wipes container (or plastic bag). Mix water and gentle soap together and add it in as damp or wet as you like. (You don't NEED the soap in there, BTW).

What size diapers right now? I loaned my size L (diaper size 3-4) to a friend ans she is about done with them. If they are the right size, I WILL GIVE THEM TO YOU. (A mix of boy and girl colors, lol. I'm cheap and got what was on sale!)

I agree on watching someone else's kids.

You MIGHT be able to find a stay-at-home-momma sympathetic to your situation. She watches your kid(s) for two weeks until you get your first paycheck.

Depending on how rural or not you are, you can make a flyer and give it to neighbors: I'm an unemployed single mom and I need $! I can babysit, garden, houseclean, run errands for you. I have x,y,z products to sell. Go in person and chat with each neighbor. Even if you don't make a sale or get a job right away, word of mouth works.

People are VERY sympathetic to the unemployed single mom thing. that is your selling point. :)

Send your clients thank you for your business cards with a nice family photo. They'll feel really good about supporting a local family in a rough time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
With the advice out of the way (didn't want to make TOO long of a post), I really feel for you!

I'm in a similar situation. "Single" mom, no real income, and bills of $166 per month. I do a variety of odd jobs. Right now it is drawing/artwork. Has been dog training. Selling those rabbits (Got sick of that, they're strictly for me freezer now). Custom sewing, etc. Nothing really takes off - I do odd jobs as they come in.

I'm trying to get started in dog grooming. The local groomer is going out of business and I have all the equipment and experience needed. The local vet clinic (that my fiance is very likely to buy this year) may begin offering grooming services and let me groom there.

:crossingfingers:

My last bunch of income was from selling A LOT of my stuff! I think it ended up $500 plus some really cool barters with SS folks here. That is running out and I'm desparately hoping the grooming job comes through!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
You could talk to the local elementary and see if you could drum up something watching sick kids. A lot of people use the school as a babysitter and don't have a back up. Charge about 40.00 or so for a day. That's better than the Mom or Dad having to miss a day of work. Most day cares won't let you leave a sick kid with them either.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If your parents can watch the kids at any time, detailing the inside of people's cars is a good money maker. Depending on where you live, it can be quite lucrative....especially if you pay real good attention to details.

Selling stuff is a great idea also...my boys are currently out of work and really up against it. They got all their old video game systems out of the attic and are selling them on Amazon right now. Money, to date, is over $80 and they still have a big bag of stuff left to sell.

The grooming of small dogs is a good money maker around here also...very few people doing it and plenty of people willing to pay to have it done. With all the designer pups coming out of the puppy mills locally, there are a lot of mop-looking lap dogs needing a bath and cut.

Cleaning houses is also good money. You just have to provide a good service in all these ventures to corner the market. You need to be a real go getter and do a better job than anyone else.