Ugh... Broke and struggling... Ideas anyone?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right now, I'm banking mostly on sales of stuff. I have several people queued up for soaps and fish foods. I sold fish foods not too long ago and still have all of it, just haven't been doing it. Now the website isn't working, so I can't figure out who wants what, lol. I still have some of my live cultures. Thinking about doing some trading to get a bigger variety and start them again. It costs pennies per year to keep most going, and basically no work. They only sell for $3 each one, but for real, that's basically 100% profit and eventually it all adds up.

If anyone really, truely wants some soaps (I don't want you to feel guilted into buying it, I just wanted some great ideas, that's why I posted, lol), PM me and I'll let you know what all I have ready, curing or on the to-do list.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not sure about the dry foods for saltwater (I'm sure they work just fine, but never dealt with saltwater, lol). But I do have cans of brine shrimp eggs (only 50% hatch rate, but if you decapsulate your own before hatching they're 100% usable). Golden pearls, 100% spirulina flakes, umm, fry bites and catfish pellets. I know we use the catfish pellets for snails and such in freshwater, but not sure if it'd work the same with saltwater?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know you keep fish. But do you breed any of them? Do you have any for sale? Do you have the supplies to ship them? If so, PM me with what you have and how much. I may be interested in some in the near future..

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually don't have fish anymore. :/ I sold my 72g bowfront and now just have the 65g and a 20g, until I sell them.

My brother and SIL had an issue with the babysitter for about three weeks. The babysitter's husband got a blister during a walk for life, and ended up with staph and lost his leg to it. He was in the hospital during the three weeks, fighting for his life, so of course his wife was with him. So, I was watching my niece. They offered to pay, but I declined, because, well, it's my family, and as much as I needed the cash, I'd rather rekindle some kind of relationship with them than take their money. Well, today and yesterday, they kept asking me if I paid my laptop off. I figured they were just being concerned about me blowing the money or something. Today my brother texts me and asks when I plan on paying off the laptop (tomorrow), he says don't worry about it, Scooter (SIL) paid it off today as thanks for watching Jayden (my niece). Wow. It was $148. Now I have an extra $148 to put back. I love my family. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yay! So happy for you. that was really nice of them! How are you doing now? Do you have a goal you're shooting for?

We're all rooting for you. :hugs

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right now, just basic goals, really pathetic goals to be honest, for short term. Applied for cash assistance so that I can get in for daycare. I'm going to call them tomorrow (since the phone is working for the moment) to see if I can squeeze past the waiting list for that. Since I already have a job and would only need a one month temporary assistance, maybe the two people who do the applications can get me in quicker, since I'm only waiting on it to go back to work to get back off of it, lol. Hopefully I can get ahold of one of them, and if that person won't do it, I'll ask to talk to the other person, lol.
For right now, what is under my power, I found the washcloths at Wal-mart, $4 for 18 of them. Probably going to get two packs, and then "steal" all the old, thin ones from the closet for wipes. Diapers are still an issue. The parents aren't fond of the idea of crappy diapers "laying around", and honestly, I'm not 100% sure how well it'd work washing them in a high efficiency washer. I'll have to do research on it to be honest.
Still doing soaps. I took my lilac batch down to the yard sale and had a bunch of people from my Facebook stop in. Of course they all walked away with soap, and now many of them are already back for more.
Basically, just trying to hang in there until the cash assistance and daycare come through. Then it's work until school starts. Will probably go back on the cash assistance while I'm in school though. I don't want to be a "bum" but hey, I'd like to actually spend time with my boys, instead of just being in school and working the entire day, then studying while I'm actually home. :/ I figure I'll pay it all back ten fold once I start my career.

bluestar-ranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I Know this will work! I do it! get a $20 tamale pot from Walmart get a good tamale recipe! I can make and roll tamales fast and sell for $10 a dozen in my part of the woods.. good luck and start practicing!

My grandkids come with me and my daughter dressed up in sombreros (hats) and mexican dresses.... the kids are cute and say.....

"hola amigo! will you buy my tamales?" now who can say no to a 7 yr old boy, 3 year old and 2 year old darlngs????

We park near donut shops/ hardware stores/ meat markets early in the morning... Tamales all sold in 2 hours max! Good luck to you!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
10 bucks a dozen? That is too cheap! Out west, homemade tamales wrapped in corn husks with masa go for $2 each! Pork or chicken or sweet corn. Yummy!