Ummm, Road Kill

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We do it all the time Free meat, in our small town we don't even bother with the list they just call us ;)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
shadowrider said:
A car about 1/4 mile in front of me rolled a buck into the ditch at the edge of a yard. The pickup behind the car stopped and as I drove by the driver of the pickup and the guy in the yard were trading punches over the deer. I didn't stay to see who won.
Fresno County,California 1985.
shadowrider
this is the best thing i've ever heard.

last nite on the news they were talking about a deer vs car accident and the final comment was that the people driving were fine and some nearby construction workers took the deer for meat. i love our local news.
;-)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have yet to actually get any thing from the roadkill cafe. Maybe it's the roadkill drive-through? Anyways, any time I see a dead, potentially edible animal on the road, I slow down to take a look. I found a young doe last winter, and went back for it, but when JD (ex-boyfriend's brother) went to grab it, it seemed like every bone in the body was broken. The hind legs were shattered and it had foamy blood in its nose (ie, lung damage). We ended up leaving it for the wild critters who aren't so picky. Jas and I check out all the deaders when we're spotting. Again, have yet to find a good fresh one. As far as permits, what permits? I've never checked into it. The way I see it, deer around here lay for days at the shortest, or end up bloating, rotting and then completely decomposing along the road. Obviously nobody else wants them or cleans them up, so why bother wasting time with someone who might say no you cannot take it, then let it sit and rot? If I find a yummy roadkill, I'm stopping, loading it into the bed of my car, and getting the hell outta there, lol.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I have yet to actually get any thing from the roadkill cafe. Maybe it's the roadkill drive-through? Anyways, any time I see a dead, potentially edible animal on the road, I slow down to take a look. I found a young doe last winter, and went back for it, but when JD (ex-boyfriend's brother) went to grab it, it seemed like every bone in the body was broken. The hind legs were shattered and it had foamy blood in its nose (ie, lung damage). We ended up leaving it for the wild critters who aren't so picky. Jas and I check out all the deaders when we're spotting. Again, have yet to find a good fresh one. As far as permits, what permits? I've never checked into it. The way I see it, deer around here lay for days at the shortest, or end up bloating, rotting and then completely decomposing along the road. Obviously nobody else wants them or cleans them up, so why bother wasting time with someone who might say no you cannot take it, then let it sit and rot? If I find a yummy roadkill, I'm stopping, loading it into the bed of my car, and getting the hell outta there, lol.
Around here, you cannot take a road killed deer w/out a permit. This way, if you have a dead deer, they know it's not as a result of poaching. The other night, my boss's hubby hit a deer. My 1st question? What did he do w/the deer? Unfortunately, it ran off. :/

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well... nothing's illegal unless you get caught! Of course, I know that's a great thing to say on a public forum, lol. But hey, I haven't commited any illegal acts of obtaining roadkill (yet anyway). I have my hunting tags and permits and plan to hunt legally, but if I find fresh roadkill, it's mine.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Great stories, all. And thank you. After driving home from 'cross the country and seeing many, many examples of roadkill ( :sick ), I'll certainly think before passing up a whole, beautiful, fresh animal. :p

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I used to work in the big town near me and had to drive 1 hour to work each morning- I was right behind lady who hit one of the biggest does I have ever seen and she didn't want it and the local sheriff deputy came along and shot it for me(it was still alive, and since it had a broken back it was crying so pitifully) and gave me the tag and we got 78lbs of great tender venison--the stomach contents showed that it was eating some kind of squash, corn, and cabbage and a few carrots--some one was feeding her well!

The hubs must not pay attention tho- he has schmucked about 6 deer in his life and they all get up and run off except one that was so smashed up it wasn't worth taking. I keep telling him if he is gonna hit one and have to have the car fixed anyways, to aim better!:lol:

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok my father in law is the biggest redneck you will ever meet! Sweet as can be but not the brightest crayon in the box! LOL

One night he hit a deer broke her front legs but the rest was all good... so he wasn't going to let her go to waste he puts her in the trunk and drives off home... He pulls into the drive way and starts to hear rustling and thumps coming from the trunk of the car! Freaked out he jumps out gets his gun flings open the trunk and shoots her...

Later when he is telling me this story... I ask him... ummm what would you have done if that bullet went through to the gas tank and the car blew up... he sat speachless... guess he didn't think of that... :idunno

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
CR - he sounds like my kinda guy - shoot first and figure it out later! ha!

what a great story -- and glad no one got hurt
:)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On-line local news report at 6:30 this morning. I think I'll be too late to go out there now.....

There is an overturned big rig on Lyons-Bald Mountain and Greenley Roads in Sonora. One lane is blocked and traffic is still able to get through. CHP is reporting that there are several deceased turkeys. Please use caution in the area..

Latest posts