Unclejoes Journey

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Great pics and a wonderful story. Your family is beautiful. I love the big family picture. I was a "late in life" baby, so 3 of my grandparents were already gone and my grandmother was bedridden until she died when I was only 5.

I wish I could have know them. I think we have so much to learn from the older generations.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
I wish I could have know them. I think we have so much to learn from the older generations.
I Soooooo wish they were still here. :( This being my first year of major gardening, Pop-Pops 90 yrs of life experience would have been a real boost and Nana had more mason jars than I could count - always full of course. All that canning equipment was "gotten rid of" when their kids cleaned out the house to sell it. I'm sick now thinking about the money I spent getting set up to can when all hers was thrown away because nobody wanted it. :barnie

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love the picture with the horses and donkey. I would love to have a horse, but that's one kind of animal I can't squeeze into my backyard, lol.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
Love the picture with the horses and donkey. I would love to have a horse, but that's one kind of animal I can't squeeze into my backyard, lol.
Get a mini horse. Maybe the city neighbors will think it's just another goat. :gig

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
punkin said:
PotterWatch said:
Get a mini horse. Maybe the city neighbors will think it's just another goat. :gig
Yeah, but I can't fool my dh into thinking those piles are just big "nanny berries", lol

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a downside to horses. They are big and heavy and while they don't mean to they can inflict some serious pain on the human body. About a month and a half ago one of the goats tried to steal a bit of grain from one of the horses. She lifted up to give him a friendly kick and I was a little too close. I got out of the way of the kick, but when she came back down she landed on the top of my foot. 1100 lbs. leaves a vivid reminder of the power of an animal that size. I'm still sore 6 weeks later.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rainy day here in Pa today, unless you're in the NE where you got - SNOW!! :barnie Now the wind is howling at 20-40 mph. I took a section of a bradford pear off a lady's house at 5:30 this afternoon. Going back to take the rest of it down tomorrow. The start of next years firewood supply.
Becky decided to make chili for dinner so she got 3 qts of our own sauce from the cellar. This is the first time we've used it and you know what? It actually tasted like TOMATOES !! :love I haven't had fresh homemade sauce since I was a kid at my grandmothers house 35 years ago. If the 40 qts of sauce we have left doesn't make it till next years harvest I don't know what I'll do. I just can't imagine going back to store bought after eating the real thing. :idunno

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
Becky decided to make chili for dinner so she got 3 qts of our own sauce from the cellar. This is the first time we've used it and you know what? It actually tasted like TOMATOES !! :love I haven't had fresh homemade sauce since I was a kid at my grandmothers house 35 years ago. If the 40 qts of sauce we have left doesn't make it till next years harvest I don't know what I'll do. I just can't imagine going back to store bought after eating the real thing. :idunno
You hit on a real problem! I am finding that I need a bigger garden because not only can I trust the quality of my homemade canning, but it does taste so much better than store bought!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
There's nothin' like going to your own store down in the cellar, is there? :bun

Latest posts