Unheated Greenhouses

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a thought... What about a milkhouse heater? I was able to raise ccx through the dead of winter in a 8x16 uninsulated plywood room with a milkhouse heater and two hanging chicken lights. The room never dropped below 50 degrees even during that cold snap in single digits overnight.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Is there a fire hazard with the milkhouse heaters?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The blanket pulled over domes at dusk is holding them about 10 degrees above outdoor temps. was overcast and only got up to 70 degrees again.

Greenhouse saved them from the first light frost last night.

I have a library book ready to pick up on Monday about using unheated greenhouse. I read the book a couple years ago and remember it being helpful, but I didn't try anything from it. I was trying to use it in spring and was surprised to have more difficulty with heat than cold.
How to insulate a greenhouse with bubble wrap.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 5
20211017_111921.jpg

Same seeds, also Day 5, grown indoors under artificial light
20211017_112358.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Overnight low temp was 28 degrees. I folded the blanket to be 2 layers thick. Under the blanket, the domes held it to 46 degrees. 😲🙌 I might actually get some lettuce from this experiment?

I will add another blanket. I think I have a wool horse blanket stashed somewhere. Something a little more windproof than the cheap poly comforter that is on it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk I love your greenhouse. It's even a great winter porch area!! I've been wanting to enclose my back porch in a similar way. Morning sun on back and southern exposure on end. Those pictures just spark my desire again. Dang you!! 🤪

My porch is a 3' raised, sand filled, brick outer and concrete poured on top, for the floor surface. Sounds like a heat sink storage area. 🤔 wood rails and posts. I think there's possibility!