Unofficial Economic Poll

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
YUP. Economic depression. There is no "jobless recovery" because there is no recovery yet.

Since the situation that got us to this point hasn't changed, nothing will improve.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
So far we are unanimous. I guess it doesn't surprise me since I am asking you all (who share a lot of common values and perceptions) this question.

FarmerChick said:
panic is a weird word
handled so different by many

...and you know what, none of my farm animals are panicking..LOL
:lol: That is the great thing about the animals . . . they know when it is really time to panic and when it is time to just keep on keepin' on. ;) I agree, panic is relative. I think when it is used to describe a depression they are mainly talking about the actions of investors. Besides a few bank runs (which are mainly silent ones these days), I think, didn't most people who survived the Great Depression just do what they could with what they had . . . no real alarm . . . more just making do?

So, I don't think you are delusional, Tankshill. I think you are just practical, as one needs to be to get through something like this.

Pam -- I think it is more than just house prices falling too, but house prices falling is a big indicator, for sure.

BBH -- sorry to hear about your washing machine. I hope it has a good amount of life left in it!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
...and my car got yelled at last night too.

"You're a VOLKSWAGON GOLF! Suck it up!!!"

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Since the situation that got us to this point hasn't changed, nothing will improve.
So how long do you think we will keep going down this road? I guess you aren't buying the 2010 recovery either?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh . . . don't get me started on cars. I just spent a sizable chunk of change on some minor repairs that stacked up on my VW (ones that could be put off, so I did until something else came along that couldn't wait). My mechanic told me that I might be interested in getting a BMW some day . . . they are supposed to not break down so much.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I don't know about livestock not panicking....

Everytime we crack open the feed bin I have 80+ chickens at my feet.

Run on the feed bin (forget the banks!) LOL

But to answer your question, yes, I believe we're in a depression.

edited for typo.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
IF...and this is a big IF...we (as in the government) stop spending money we don't have TOMORROW, I think it would take 5 years for us to work our way out of this mess.

I also think the longer things continue as they are, the longer it will take to fix things.

But there is still a large portion of the population who thinks that the government is actually Santa Claus and Oprah all in one. Until they realize the government is not the answer to their problems, nothing's going to change. It will just get worse. As long as a majority of the population thinks success needs to be punished, things will get worse. As long as people think that the best way to solve a problem is to pass more regulations, things will get worse. As long as people think it is any of their business how their neighbor lives their lives (as long as it isn't impinging on them), what religion they are, how they dress, who they marry, what car they drive, etc... things will get worse.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Quail -- I like your analogy of the run on the feed bank . . . which ultimately is a run on your bank account. Same problem here.

But, Wifezilla, I don't know if you can change some of those things . . . some are just human nature. I agree about deficit spending, but I'm not sure that getting rid of regulation is always for the best. In general, it is a good idea, but unfortunately some take advantage of the increased freedoms to further their own interests, which may ultimately impinge upon their neighbors. . . . 5 years, huh?

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
YES. Farmers in our county will have a loss of 35% from 2008, for instance, and we have 8.2% unemployment, even though our community is considered "recession-proof."

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I too agree that we are in a depression and IMHO it will get worse, possibly much worse. As history repeats itself, financial crisis (depressions) nearly always preclude war. I just wish we were in a better position to weather it all. Not so much money wise (but it wouldn't hurt-haha), but to have some acreage with livestock and not just a large city lot. I'd feel better prepared if we had a few cows (meat & milk), pigs and a horse or two for transportation/work (hauling, plowing, etc) I am thankful for what I do have-garden, fruit trees, herbs, chickens-I'm just not sure it's enough. I look around my area and most don't have that. Should a catastrophe happen, they will have nothing to fall back on.
Maybe this is panic, but I don't see it as such (yet-lol). Just wanting to be prepared for the worse, if that's even possible.