Up grading my off grid cabin to a 5 star rating

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Critter I love your wife's style and dream cabin its beautiful. I bet you have a 3D rendering I would love to see it. I understand exactly what you mean regarding insurance. My full time home is a small log cabin that I moved into 8 years ago. It was built in 1986 I'm the third owner. When I went to insure it thier were 101 questions and not all insurance companies would deal with log cabins or inside wood burning stoves. One of the first questions they asked was it a professional kit. Even the insurance company that insured the previous owner required me to get the wood stove inspected that's been in the cabin since 86 prior to insuring me. My off grid cabin is only 16 x 24 I trusted the Amish guy with years of experience to design it, and I would be willing to bet in comparison to a Home Depot shed kit its over designed. I'm a Mech Eng by trade and didn't run a single calculation it may be foolish but its stout in comparison to traditional building techniques.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Critter I love your wife's style and dream cabin its beautiful. I bet you have a 3D rendering I would love to see it. I understand exactly what you mean regarding insurance. My full time home is a small log cabin that I moved into 8 years ago. It was built in 1986 I'm the third owner. When I went to insure it thier were 101 questions and not all insurance companies would deal with log cabins or inside wood burning stoves. One of the first questions they asked was it a professional kit. Even the insurance company that insured the previous owner required me to get the wood stove inspected that's been in the cabin since 86 prior to insuring me. My off grid cabin is only 16 x 24 I trusted the Amish guy with years of experience to design it, and I would be willing to bet in comparison to a Home Depot shed kit its over designed. I'm a Mech Eng by trade and didn't run a single calculation it may be foolish but its stout in comparison to traditional building techniques.

No doubt in my mind it's probably like 100 times stronger than then the stick built crap they build nowadays. Insurance companies don't see it that way though.

I love to see how Craftsman built buildings of yesteryear, it's just something I really admire. The skill these guys had is nothing short of amazing.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That cabin looks and sounds amazing! Perfect place to escape to for a day or two now and then.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
upload_2018-7-25_13-2-26.jpeg
Ok back to the shower what do you think if I add a shelf inside the shower for a Zodi Extreme will it work ? Its SS holds 3 gals of water and can be heated on my propane stove or camp fire seems to have good reviews. Or maybe some better ideas remembering I have limited electric and no running water yet.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 8030Ok back to the shower what do you think if I add a shelf inside the shower for a Zodi Extreme will it work ? Its SS holds 3 gals of water and can be heated on my propane stove or camp fire seems to have good reviews. Or maybe some better ideas remembering I have limited electric and no running water yet.

It's a good idea... I like it. I really like the pressurized water idea and being in a stainless container you could warm it up on the camp fire like you said.

Kind of a shame you don't have running water or you could do a copper coil hot coal water heater kind of setup. But then again taking a showing in creek water would take some getting used to. You might smell worse after the shower than before :)

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's a good idea... I like it. I really like the pressurized water idea and being in a stainless container you could warm it up on the camp fire like you said.

Kind of a shame you don't have running water or you could do a copper coil hot coal water heater kind of setup. But then again taking a showing in creek water would take some getting used to. You might smell worse after the shower than before :)
Critter, I need to keep reminding myself of the KISS principle because my mind keeps on wanting to get more complex and better. Once I get gutters and and cistern and then a small 12v solar system installed I really can start dreaming and improving maybe something like a 12v RV water pump a thermosyphon and small insulated tank however time is limited. DW wants a water tower like Petticoat Junction I try to explain that shes more like Ellie May because she wants 1 of each Critter she sees.

images
images

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, where in WV is your property? I was born there but, not back in a while. Parkersburg area.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, where in WV is your property? I was born there but, not back in a while. Parkersburg area.
Wow Mini it must be near where you were born its in Ritchie county

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Born in the hospital @Parkersburg, been 70+ yrs ago :lol: Prob not same hospital now. Dad was from there & mom out at Wirt county...Elizabeth was the small town. Still have a few relatives there but haven't been to visit in years & years. Just a couple cousins, one aunt still around. We do correspond. It is some pretty but often rough country.

Both Large families of 7 & 8 kids. Dad had 6 bro & 1 sister...all now deceased. But boys all went into the service and with that, dispersed to all parts of the country. Not a lot of in person visiting as back then driving was about it. Most times only a couple siblings could get there at same time. Such is life. But I have great memories from the grands and our visits over the years.....their lifestyles were sure off grid.:)

No electric, outhouses, wash tubs, well with rope & bucket, horse to plow the garden. Yep, been there!

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Born in the hospital @Parkersburg, been 70+ yrs ago :lol: Prob not same hospital now. Dad was from there & mom out at Wirt county...Elizabeth was the small town. Still have a few relatives there but haven't been to visit in years & years. Just a couple cousins, one aunt still around. We do correspond. It is some pretty but often rough country.

Both Large families of 7 & 8 kids. Dad had 6 bro & 1 sister...all now deceased. But boys all went into the service and with that, dispersed to all parts of the country. Not a lot of in person visiting as back then driving was about it. Most times only a couple siblings could get there at same time. Such is life. But I have great memories from the grands and our visits over the years.....their lifestyles were sure off grid.:)

No electric, outhouses, wash tubs, well with rope & bucket, horse to plow the garden. Yep, been there!
Mini that's crazy my cabin is on the Ritchie / Wirt county line. Its amazing to me that the avg population density of the area is only 23 people / sq mile and declining. I absolutely love the beauty and the people. From talking to the locals there were 37-39 families that lived in the holler where my cabin sits and a single room school house. Today its only my cabin and you can only drive a car/truck as far as my cabin. To get past my cabin you need a S x S or ATV. In the past I understand the well tenders and loggers used mules and horses. The area is rich with history it seems like it was primarily oil/gas , timber, farming and for a short period asphalt mining . Don't know if you ever watch Barn Wood Builders on TV they had a episode were they torn down a barn in Ritchie county and explored the area I'm sure it would be interesting to you. I would love to hear stories about the area.

Last edited:

Latest posts